Astrophoto thread (your own photos please)

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I used my Lumix to get these - my first landscape photos. The stars were taken with 60 second photos, and the foregrounds with 1/4 second with flash. I'm pleased to have got M31 and the double cluster with the telescope one:

Scopeandstars.png

Hedgestars.png

Messierhunter

Reaction score
A compilation video of some of the objects I've been shooting lately with my new Samsung SDC-435:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I got some photos of the Moon last night - the clouds produced a subtle rainbow halo when they were in front of it. Jupiter was close by, and the bright Moon lit up the landscape. I also saw Orion fully above the horizon early this morning, and the Moon was lower down as day broke. The de-focused photo shows the colour of the halo best:

Moonscene.png

Rainbowmoon.png

Jupitermoonclouds.png

Orion2.png

Daymoon.png

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:thumbup: Must be great to have a camera with such long exposure times. The maximum I can get with my camera are 8 seconds.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:thumbup: Must be great to have a camera with such long exposure times. The maximum I can get with my camera are 8 seconds.

:) I bought it because it can do shots up to 60 seconds. This was a reasonably cheap camera - about £150, which is much cheaper than any DSLR, proving that you don't need to spend that much to get long exposures. 8 seconds should also be more than sufficient to get stars and constellations, especially if you stack the images in a program like GIMP. That's usually what I do - I take one image, and if it's too dark, I open the same image as a new layer in GIMP, and press addition in the layers panel, and it doubles the brightness, almost as if the exposure time was doubled. It is really worth a go.

Have you taken any photos with your camera? I could try and see if GIMP will brighten them up.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here's an example with 8 seconds exposure. The downside is that ISO can't be changed manually. When weather gets better I'll try some stacking.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here's a series of Jupiter shots from this past week.

jupitercollage2010.jpg

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here's an example with 8 seconds exposure. The downside is that ISO can't be changed manually. When weather gets better I'll try some stacking.

Here is the result of stacking it twice - it is not a major difference, but you can see what happens:

DSCI07412.png

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
That jupiter looks great Yoda, i can't wait to catch the red spot and a transit. I would yesterday but the clouds came
Here's jupiter from two days ago, best to date. That's Callisto on the left and Io on the right.
jowisziokallisto.jpg

And the full moon from the same night, a mosaic of 7 pictures, each being 12 stacked photos:
ksezycmega123.jpg

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Nice images McWgogs !!

What Scope and camera are you using ?

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
Orion SkyQuest XT8, dobsonian telescope, and a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 camera.
That jupiter is around 80 stacked images with the 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope, and it was zoomed in about 6x by the camera.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orion SkyQuest XT8, dobsonian telescope, and a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 camera.
That jupiter is around 80 stacked images with the 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope, and it was zoomed in about 6x by the camera.

Your Jupiter is very detailed - I have a Lumix DMC-ZX1 and a Sky-Watcher 130. How do you go about taking the frames and processing them? I use the HD video recorder and Registax.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here is the result of stacking it twice - it is not a major difference, but you can see what happens:

DSCI07412.png

Thank you for testing it! There seem to be some gaps in the clouds, so I'll try to get some images later today.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Another night, another chance of imaging Jupiter !
Nice image of the Great (and smaller) Red-spot.

jupiter09252010.jpg

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
Your Jupiter is very detailed - I have a Lumix DMC-ZX1 and a Sky-Watcher 130. How do you go about taking the frames and processing them? I use the HD video recorder and Registax.
I use the unlimited burst shooting mode, taking about 20 pictures in a row with iso100 smallest F and whatever shutter speed will keep Jupiter nice and bright.
This time I've used paint shop's unsharp mask to brign out the details in the raw photos and processed them in Registax.
Of course good seeing conditions, a collimated scope and setting the focus as best as possible will greatly improve sharpness. I use www.meteoblue.com for seeing pretictions.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Here's a 1.5 hour time lapse of Jupiter with an Io transit. Each frame is a stacked image from a 1 minute video recorded with a modified Samsung SDC-435 and 8" LX200 with a 2x barlow: