Idea Assigned key HUD or MFD for Orbiter?

stealthstar

Reaction score
I've always struggled with figuring out what keys do what in Orbiter while playing with an addon or scenario. So I figure a display of some kind ether in the form of a HUD OR MFD that show what function is assigned to what key could be a good idea. It would be much easier than digging through the manual or skimming through the addon gallery or 'readme' files to figure out what I gotta press to do what. I know that some addons already have this feature but would it be possible if Orbiter could have something like this for ALL addons & senators? Also a way to edit key functions would be a godsend for Orbiter especially for us who use a custom flight stick rig.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I've always struggled with figuring out what keys do what in Orbiter while playing with an addon or scenario. So I figure a display of some kind ether in the form of a HUD OR MFD that show what function is assigned to what key could be a good idea. It would be much easier than digging through the manual or skimming through the addon gallery or 'readme' files to figure out what I gotta press to do what. I know that some addons already have this feature but would it be possible if Orbiter could have something like this for ALL addons & senators? Also a way to edit key functions would be a godsend for Orbiter especially for us who use a custom flight stick rig.

The problem is that only the Vessel or MFD knows what it will do with key X or key Y, so a global solution is not really feasible... :shrug:

As for Orbiter key assignments, you can edit the keymap.cfg file to your liking.

stealthstar

Reaction score
Doing it from the config file just seems like an unnecessary extra step. I just wish it was more like how its setup in Microsoft flight sim where we can edit keys from the main menu.

As for feasibility of a HUD or MFD programmed into Orbiter as a checkable module, I think its entirely possible. Just depends on how much of the work the Orbiter devs are willing to put into it in the next installment of Orbiter which seems to come around once every 4 to 6 years.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
As for feasibility of a HUD or MFD programmed into Orbiter as a checkable module, I think its entirely possible. Just depends on how much of the work the Orbiter devs are willing to put into it in the next installment of Orbiter which seems to come around once every 4 to 6 years.

The issue is not in Orbiter but is actually in the addons. I might have a rocket that separates the stages with the key J, but some other dev can make another rocket and use the key G to separate the stages, and other dev might use key K....
Forcing users to use this or that key is not a good idea IMO, as almost certainly addons would end-up being limited by those restrictions.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Already exists, it's called RTF Notes. Copy the key asignments to .txt file and you can call them up with a MFD in-game. I had many addons setup in Orb2010 (couldn't imagine playing some addons without it), works in Orb2016 too.

OK, that was more complicated than expected, had to dig deep in my archives: RTF NotesMFD is an extension of vchamp's NotesMFD by Jon Marcure exclusivley(?) shipped with the addon 2011 Firefly (great addon) from Rag Tag Fleet which may be difficult to get hold of. But there have been some recent(?) posts on Rag Tag addons, if you can get hold of it I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

stealthstar

Reaction score
Already exists, it's called RTF Notes. Copy the key asignments to .txt file and you can call them up with a MFD in-game. I had many addons setup in Orb2010 (couldn't imagine playing some addons without it), works in Orb2016 too.

OK, that was more complicated than expected, had to dig deep in my archives: RTF NotesMFD is an extension of vchamp's NotesMFD by Jon Marcure exclusivley(?) shipped with the addon 2011 Firefly (great addon) from Rag Tag Fleet which may be difficult to get hold of. But there have been some recent(?) posts on Rag Tag addons, if you can get hold of it I highly recommend it.

Cool, I'll give it a try.