Search Ares V

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey there, I just wanted to ring in on this. You guys are making some good work so far. I'm anxious to see the finished product. :thumbup:

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I changed the meshes to have a diameter of 10.17. Could someone help me with making a better fairing mesh? I'm absolutely horrible at making meshes.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Also, What's the ISP of the EDS?

Maybe i'll do some good fairing meshes. And an aeroshell if you later pretend go to mars with this beast XD.

The ISP of EDS is 448 sec or 4394.8 Ns/kg. Both things mean the same, but Orbiter's API only understand the second.

While... i'll do also the rival for Ares 5: an almost unknown vehicle proposed by Khrunischev in the middle '2000s: The Angara M100 :p

Last edited:

Istochnikov

Addon Developer
Reaction score
For easing the calculus: 490N It's the average thrust of the venerable R4D-15 engine. NASA is not too stupid for wasting time for developing a new RCS engine :p

Columbia42

Reaction score
Here's the latest beta of my Ares V addon. View attachment 3948
I'm now starting work on a more up to date Altair lander for the rocket to carry. The one from the Ares & Orion addon is the latest version right?

Also, how are those fairing meshes coming?

Last edited:

Istochnikov

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's the latest beta of my Ares V addon. View attachment 3948
I'm now starting work on a more up to date Altair lander for the rocket to carry. The one from the Ares & Orion addon is the latest version right?

Also, how are those fairing meshes coming?

For the first... yup. It's the Most Up-to-date available.

For the second... i'll test first your beta, for seing if my fairing meshes fit well, and later i'll send you :p

EDIT: See the fairing... how does it seem to you? :p

Attachments

• Fairing for Ares 5.png
    Fairing for Ares 5.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Great work, folks!
Idea: If you add a docking port which conincides with the location of the Altair-lander docking port mesh while it is in the payload bay, a CEV could dock to the EDS and it would look like it is docking to the Altair sitting in the payload bay.
Then the TLI burn can be performed with the CEV sitting on top of the Ares V EDS.

Zane

Reaction score
Great work, folks!
Idea: If you add a docking port which conincides with the location of the Altair-lander docking port mesh while it is in the payload bay, a CEV could dock to the EDS and it would look like it is docking to the Altair sitting in the payload bay.
Then the TLI burn can be performed with the CEV sitting on top of the Ares V EDS.

That could cause problems. When Orion is docked like that, and you press 'J' on the EDS, the LSAM will be released but the Orion will remain docked.

Maybe a better idea is to add a docking port to the EDS right where the Altair comes together with the payload adapter, and add another docking port on Altair's aft. Upon reaching orbit, you'd hit 'J' to jettison the Altair, which would be in the right position to dock with the EDS, and then you just dock Orion to Altair.

Istochnikov

Addon Developer
Reaction score
That could cause problems. When Orion is docked like that, and you press 'J' on the EDS, the LSAM will be released but the Orion will remain docked.

Maybe a better idea is to add a docking port to the EDS right where the Altair comes together with the payload adapter, and add another docking port on Altair's aft. Upon reaching orbit, you'd hit 'J' to jettison the Altair, which would be in the right position to dock with the EDS, and then you just dock Orion to Altair.

Dougkeenan's Jupiter DIRECT employs this idea... true? Well, Columbia42, take note :p

Now i'm exporting the fairing meshes :p

Columbia42

Reaction score
See the fairing... how does it seem to you? :p

The fairing's great! As for the docking of the EDS to the CEV, I'm going to put a docking port on it so that when you jettison the lander, it docks to the EDS. The lander will also have another dock so that it can dock with the CEV while it is also docked to the EDS. After TLI, you undock the lander from the EDS and it remains docked to the CEV.

sf4ever

Reaction score
Sounds good. But what of kind of Ares I would you use for scenarios?

Columbia42

Reaction score
Sounds good. But what of kind of Ares I would you use for scenarios?

This one: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4051"]CEV-Orion Correct assembly[/ame]
I've also made an expansion pack for it that improves the addon a lot. It's available here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4389"]CEV-Orion UPGRADE[/ame]

YuriGaga

Reaction score
Do you have any views of your rockets? I am thinking about to join too. "?"
But I am just a Draftsman and not a Programmer.
Greatings
YuriGaga
Well, thats my 1st Stage: - D: 10,06m; L: 71,10m
AresV_12msh_inSpace-1.jpg

Last edited: