Question Apollo 7 launch - abort mode 1

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
Hi,

so I was going through the Apollo 7 mission checklist and every time at the launch time when I leave the "EDS" switch in the auto position, the "abort mode 1" turns on (when it's off, the launch is good and also the NO AUTO ABORT light is on at the time of launching). In the checklist, it must be turned on before launch and then at T + 0:01:45, it must be turned off. What could I have done wrong?

1647893263217.png

Attachments

• 1647893257252.png
    1647893257252.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 90

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So you are getting an automatic abort. Does it happen right at liftoff? There is only 3 conditions that can really cause it. A sudden high attitude rate, loosing two or more engines or the connection to the IU breaking up (EDS buses loosing power). High attitude rate or loosing engines right after liftoff should be fairly obvious from the outside (or FDAI attitude rate) and on the launch vehicle engine lights. But what you can try is leave EDS in Auto, but switch either Abort System - LV Rates or 2 Eng Out to Off, and then in a third attempt both off, to see which event triggers the automatic abort.

Does it also happen if you use the Apollo 7 T-60s mission scenario that comes with NASSP?

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
So you are getting an automatic abort. Does it happen right at liftoff? There is only 3 conditions that can really cause it. A sudden high attitude rate, loosing two or more engines or the connection to the IU breaking up (EDS buses loosing power). High attitude rate or loosing engines right after liftoff should be fairly obvious from the outside (or FDAI attitude rate) and on the launch vehicle engine lights. But what you can try is leave EDS in Auto, but switch either Abort System - LV Rates or 2 Eng Out to Off, and then in a third attempt both off, to see which event triggers the automatic abort.

Does it also happen if you use the Apollo 7 T-60s mission scenario that comes with NASSP?
Yep, right at liftoff. It happened to me every time I was launching A7. It happens also with the 2 Eng Out at Off position. With LV Rates at off launch went good, and also with both off.
1647894677836.png

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, so then it seems like you somehow get a big attitude rate for a short moment at liftoff. Can you confirm that on the FDAI rate needles? Is it only at liftoff and then settles down? Do you get a bad framerate at liftoff? Maybe it's related to that. Does it also auto abort if you look at the launch from the outside?

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it would be frames, I tried a fresh Apollo 7 and a T-60s scn a few times and didn't get any auto aborts.

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
Hmm... I tried with the outside camera - abort mode 1. Then I lowered my settings and then checked, again - abort mode 1. I've never had a problem like this with NASSP before installing beta...

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm... I tried with the outside camera - abort mode 1. Then I lowered my settings and then checked, again - abort mode 1. I've never had a problem like this with NASSP before installing beta...
What framerates are you getting (you can see this within orbiter by going to function->performance meter)

Also which version of NASSP are you running? Did you do a fresh install of Orbiter Beta?

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
What framerates are you getting (you can see this within orbiter by going to function->performance meter)

Also which version of NASSP are you running? Did you do a fresh install of Orbiter Beta?
Yes, fresh install only for the latest ver of NASSP. I checked the graph and I can see there is an fps drop at the moment of the launch... So now, any way to fix it?
1647967615354.png

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That seems to be a dip down to 40 fps, which should be ok I would think. Is your Saturn IB slanted, so not pointing straight up? Also, just to confirm it again, this happens every time in every Apollo 7 scenario with you, is that correct? The T-60s scenario provided with NASSP does also cause this issue? Or just some scenario that is saved even later than T-60s. What is with the Saturn V, any other T-60s scenario also causing this?

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
Is your Saturn IB slanted, so not pointing straight up?
I think so, I ran the standard A7 scenario and just went through the checks.
Also, just to confirm it again, this happens every time in every Apollo 7 scenario with you, is that correct?
That's correct.
The T-60s scenario provided with NASSP does also cause this issue?
Yes
What is with the Saturn V, any other T-60s scenario also causing this?
With Saturn V everything is good at launch.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think so, I ran the standard A7 scenario and just went through the checks.

Ah, I can reproduce it now. The terrain near launch complex 34 is not level in Orbiter. That's why NASSP comes with a modified elevation file to make the launchpads we use in NASSP completely flat. If I delete that file then at launch the orientation of the Saturn IB (using the T-60s scenario) suddenly updates and it has large attitude rates for a moment, which is enough to cause an abort.

That means it has to be some issue with the texture files you are using. Do you have the Earth textures installed in your NASSP install or somewhere else?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, what do you have in Textures\Earth\Elev_mod?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aha! The NASSP releases do have a file that belongs in there that you for some reason don't have or don't have anymore. So just check in the last NASSP release for the 001131.elv file and put it in there. That should do it.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Please note, this will mess up your Falcon 9/Falcon Heavy addons in regular o2016! Both NASSP and F9/FH addons supply 001131.elv, but they aren't the same file. NASSP uses this file to flatten LC34/37, and F9/FH uses it to flatten SLC40. My workaround for this is to use the 001131.elv that comes with NASSP, and use D3D9 terrain flattening for SLC40.
This .flt file should do the trick. It goes in your /Textures/Earth/Flat/ folder. (Obviously you have to get rid of the .txt part of the filename)

Attachments

• SLC40.flt.txt
    62 bytes · Views: 97

Radar_Contact

Reaction score
Aha! The NASSP releases do have a file that belongs in there that you for some reason don't have or don't have anymore. So just check in the last NASSP release for the 001131.elv file and put it in there. That should do it.
Bingo, thx
Please note, this will mess up your Falcon 9/Falcon Heavy addons in regular o2016! Both NASSP and F9/FH addons supply 001131.elv, but they aren't the same file. NASSP uses this file to flatten LC34/37, and F9/FH uses it to flatten SLC40. My workaround for this is to use the 001131.elv that comes with NASSP, and use D3D9 terrain flattening for SLC40.
This .flt file should do the trick. It goes in your /Textures/Earth/Flat/ folder. (Obviously you have to get rid of the .txt part of the filename)
Yes. That's why it is good to have Orbiter beta for the NASSP and the normal one for the other mods :>