Any Motorcyclists?

Cobalt

Reaction score
Specifically, sportbikes? I'm looking into getting in to riding, but the only two wheeled vehicle I've ever ridden was a bicycle.

I'm looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, since it's small, amazingly inexpensive, and not so powerful that if I lay it down I'm roadkill. (Not anymore so than another bike.)

My dad and brothers ride cruisers, and while a Harley always sounds excellent, I've just always loved a nice sports bike.

Given infinite funds and superhuman riding ability, I'd own the following:

A Suzuki Hayabusa, an Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory, the absolutely amazing MV Agusta F4 RR 312 1078, The Ducati 1098R, and the bike that sparked my love of sportbikes, the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R.

But since I've got neither, I'm gonna stick with the idea of the 250R.
So, anyone got any advice, thoughts, input?

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
I learned on a EX500 Suzuki bike, it was surprisingly easy yet powerful enough to get me used to the speed. Also I would recommend the Honda Rebel, which is small enough to learn on as well with far less power than the EX500 but still enough to learn on.

I had been riding for years when I finally decided to get my license, the school I went to was sponsored by the Harley dealership that I lived near, so when they started out in the Rebels I knew that this was a very basic course, well when it came my turn to do the small course, I decided to do a wheelie. That didn't go over very well and it made the instructor mad as all get out. Lesson learned: I didn't get the license and i'm driving a car instead of a bike.

V8Li

Reaction score
I'm gonna buy a Hayabusa next year for the summer (when I will have enoght $$$) - I don't compromise. I love cars more but I can't do 300 Kph (+easy) with 5000 Euro. Anyway, if you do buy a Hayabusa (a good one, second hand, is about 5000 Euro here) get one from 1999 since the new models are limited (final gear is longer and the max rev is limited by ECU or something like that).

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Kimball

Reaction score
First off, I'm 33 years old.

I used to ride sport bikes and loved them. Owned a CBR1100.

They are fast. Really fast. Painfully fast.

However, equally painful to ride. Really. Long distance riding sucks on those things.

You'll get different opinions from different folks, and it will depend on age. The younger crowd loves the sport bikes.

These days, it's the Yamaha V-Star 1100 cruiser for me - with Cobra exhaust. It's comfortable, fast enough, and great for long rides. Got it for $3500 on ebay, 6800 miles, and it doesn't drop parts along the way like the Harleys.

But really, it's up to you. Don't try to shoehorn yourself into something you don't want to ride, and don't ask advice on it. Just get want you want to get.

Cobalt

Reaction score
I didn't really want a long range trip maker, just a bike I could ride around with my dad and brothers.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Been riding for about a year and a half now ( mindlife crisis at age 40) and bought a Honda Shadow 750 cruiser !
Excellent bike to take through the Colorado Mountains.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I've been riding for about 20 years now. Had all sorts of bikes. You are very wise to start with a small displacement bike first.

An EX250 is a good starter bike. But they are in strong demand right now and the new improved '08s are very hard to find.

An EX500 or GS500 (Kawasaki and Suzuki repectively) are good first bikes, as is the SV-650. A used one in good condition can be had for under $3K and if you take care of it, you can sell it for nearly the same. Avoid anything with full fairings as the plastics are fragile and expensive.
Have fun!

V8Li

Reaction score
Here (I know, Romania is not the best country for an example but stuill ...) if you get a used one is like gambling: if you get a sporty the seller probably trashed it around (doing max revs and things like that) plus you can't find cheap parts or a good mechanic. It's better to get a new one ... I guess you get some waranty with it.