Problem Any ext MFD dramatically drops the frame rate

PUshift

Reaction score
Hello to the forum,

I use to run Orbiter since 2008 and never had any issues of low frame rates/ FPS on my old computer, even with best graphic settings and using 2 monitors full of ext mfds.
Now, with a new gaming pc, I am able to run the newest games like Assetto Corsa with stable high frame rates, but in Orbiter it behaves strange.
Starting a scenario it I get ridiciously high rates of sometimes over 200 fps in the beginning, then it levels out at 130 frames.
If I THEN open up just one single external MFD (which I use to place on the second monitor, but it makes no difference), for example the orbit mfd, the FPS-Rate decreases dramatically to 4!!! frames or so.
The whole simulation stucks and stutters and is not playable anymore.
Now if I just push the middle button of the mfd, like for choosing another mode ( just disengage orbit without closing the mfd), the FPS-rate jumps back immediately to those very high rates I had before.
It appears like to be very hard work just to show the orbit content. But this is ridiclious since the internal orbit mfd does not have this effect.
The surface mfd also drops the rate, but slightly less. Both together make it even worse.

Any help would be appreciated. Is it the 64bit-System? Is it maybe DX11?
I do not really search for an optimization like the truetype-thing but rather for a solution to mend some kind of error which lets that monster of computer looking like an idiot. I had already 60 frames on my old computer from 2007.
(I will also accept a scenario in which I was the idiot:)

I tried the 100830-Version as zip and msi. Located on SSD or HDD. Should I probably try out the beta, from which I heard that 64-bit is mandatory?
Thanks in advance for any hint.

Intel Core i5-4460 @3.20
8 GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX960
OS Win 8.1 64bit
(an "Alternate" Gaming Computer from July 2015)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Hi and welcome to OF.

I never had such a dramatic fps drop, even with my jurassic pc, still running XP (and I even have a second little monitor, as you do).
The only known MFD that causes an fps drop is MAP MFD, but zooming some clicks in cures the problem.
Have you tried running the miracolous D3D9 external graphics client?

PS I never heard of Orbiter Beta requiring 64bit.

Last edited:

PUshift

Reaction score
thxs for the quick reply
and yes, it runs on jurassic machines just fine:)
I never had the D3D9-error message so I thought it would be not relevant for me. I will check this again, because "graphics client" sounds quite different to "error-fixing".

PUshift

Reaction score
Update: the D3D9 client raised it to 30 frames but the simulation keeps stuttering very bad. So thanks for that, but it couldn´t mend my problem. Even the thrust-bar on the vessel control is stuttering while pressing the mouse in order to increase. It feels like 3 or 4 frames a second, but the monitor shows 33. It also went to zero for short moments of time, from while to while.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It sounds really weird but I am at a loss, sorry.
A strange/rare compatibility issue?
I hope someone else will pop in with other ideas.

Good luck.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Which MFD is this? There are some, like it has been mentioned about Map MFD, that do take a toll on the system, as well as the way they are drawn can cause performance issues which showed up in a previous build of D3D9 but were fixed.

Narrow down which MFD and when it causes your frames to plummet because I have found a couple to cause issues under certain circumstances.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Update: the D3D9 client raised it to 30 frames...
This is also very strange.
D3D9 is generally making wonders, raising fps in the "many-hundreds" range for a lot (read 99,9%) of Orbiteers.

Sorry to ask such a general question, but are your graphic card's drivers updated?

PUshift

Reaction score
ok people, we have finally found the case where I was the idiot:)
I didn´t use the D3D9 properly so it simply was not yet activated. My bad, please take my apologizes.

It solved the problem! The D3D9 had a magic effect. Frame Rates of OVER 500!!!
And never came below 100.

Thanks to Ripley again, it was the hint I needed. Great!

*Case closed*, thank you all very much

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It's nonetheless quite strange that with your pc's specs, you got those veeeery low fps.
...Or maybe it's normal, since you were using the default DX7 engine on a more recent system, I don't know.

Anyway, glad you finally sorted it out!
We have another D3D9 addict!

:cheers: