Project AMSO Apollo 12 Soundpack

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Hey, since last night, I've done about 19 audio files for Apollo 12. I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'm up to the part where they're tracking the departing S-IVB with the CSM TV camera. I've done the entire launch sequence from pre-countdown up to the part where I am now. After they shut the TV camera off, I'll continue the soundpack as normal. Every call from launch to S-IVB departure has been covered (minus about 2 minutes of audio that was missing from the recording that I have. All that's missing is Al Bean mentioning that the Earth looks like a Basketball and a few comments from Pete about the S-IVB venting something out the back).

After all these months of being lazy and playing Train Simulator and GTA V instead of Orbiter, I've forgotten how entertaining the Apollo 12 crew is to listen to.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I found that 2 minutes or so of audio that was missing from the air-to-ground tape that I had downloaded. I found it on the Spacecraft Films Apollo 12 DVD set that I have.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I've gone and downloaded all the audio that I will need to do this pack. I have over 50 hours of audio actually. That should make things easier. After I finish this soundpack, I'll go and finish my Apollo 14 soundpack.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I've sat on this project for nearly 2 years now, it's time for me to get off my lazy bum and do it.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Here's a preview I made of the Lunar Lift-Off of Intrepid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDGpNGXur0&feature=youtu.be

I'm currently working on the MCC 2 burn where the crew burns the SPS engine to take them out of the Free-Return Trajectory and onto the Hybrid Trajectory.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

MCC 2 burn is complete.

JJJacksonTyler

Reaction score
So excited.

It just dawned on me, that the next upcoming Apollo anniversary is that of 12, on November 14th, 46 years ago!

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
School has consumed my life but today is my last day before Winter break. I'll probably work on this again this weekend. I've been missing the entertaining antics of Pete Conrad and Friends.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Back in action!

Hey everyone, it's been awhile! I've been without a computer for a few months but now I'm back in action. Work on the Apollo 12 Soundpack will continue again this weekend. Updates will follow as I make progress through the hours of audio that I've collected.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
*Wipes sweat from my forehead.*

Okay, I just spent the last 2 hours or so working on the TV transmission during the first lunar orbit. Lots of detailed descriptions of the lunar surface in there, as well as some of the humor that we've come to know and love from the Apollo 12 crew. Next major thing to do is the undocking. In-between where I'm at now and the undocking will be some light stuff like "Go for LOI-2" and the post LOI-2 burn status report.

---------- Post added 07-20-16 at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-19-16 at 06:00 AM ----------

The LOI-2 burn is complete.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Alright, I'm about to work on the undocking of Yankee Clipper and Intrepid. I have the appropriate audio file loaded up in my editor and I've found the pages in the transcript that cover this event. This audio file also contains the full PDI and landing audio which makes things simple for when I go to edit that audio for the simulation.

I'll do what I can tonight. Whatever doesn't get done tonight will be finished hopefully on Sunday. It's 1:10 am where I am right now and I don't plan on being awake much past 3 am.

I'm making an effort to try to work on this project more. Lunarmodule5 on YouTube has started doing Apollo 12 as part of their Full Mission Series and I think it's time I get off my lazy butt and work towards finishing this.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I've finished cutting up and labeling the audio for the undocking and separation from the time the TV camera is turned on to when Dick Gordon completes his separation burn. 54 audio files in total for this one event. I need to go in now and compress them all.

Next on the agenda is the Go for DOI call, AOS immediately after DOI, and the PDI and landing.

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 AM ----------

I've just finished compressing each individual audio file for the undocking.

---------- Post added 09-06-16 at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-05-16 at 05:04 AM ----------

I've done the first audio files that are centered around the LM (the LM-0000000.wav files). I've done the Go for DOI call and the AOS period where Pete gives his burn residuals and tells Houston that he's seen his first Earthrise.

I'll be focusing on the PDI and landing next.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

I've done the PDI up until Pete takes over as they approach the landing site. Now I have to do the files that are tied to the altitude of the LM in the last 300 or so feet of the landing. I've set it up where I've leveled off high directly over the place where I want to land and all I have to do is drop it in. That's how I did it with Apollo 14. I might have done it that way with 17 but it's been so long that I can't remember.

Apollo 12 will be released as one big pack. It was a mistake to only release a part of Apollo 14. I'll finish 14 and upload it as one big pack as well once I've finished Apollo 12.

---------- Post added 09-07-16 at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-06-16 at 04:18 AM ----------

The PDI and landing sequence is complete.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I've gone and done the audio for when Dick Gordon sees Intrepid and Surveyor III together on the Lunar surface through the CSM sextant. I've also done the depressurization and egress for EVA-1 and the post EVA-1 debriefing. I'm debating whether or not I should also do the depress for EVA-2. Probably should. I'll definitely do the debriefing for the second EVA. I already did the Lunar Module ascent a long time ago so I don't need to worry about that.

Nat739DT

Reaction score
Just wondering how your Apollo 12 soundpack is coming?

Apollo 2 is my absolute FAVORITE mission, and would LOVE to be able to fly it wil full audio like 11. I hope you wrap up soon! I;m very much looking forward to it! I love your other work, and I know it's great quality!

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I've just done the jettison of the Lunar Module. I'm going to systematically go through and finish cutting together the audio centered around the CSM, before going back and doing the Lunar Module surface stuff. I had been working on the post-EVA Q&As the last time I was working on this but I don't seem to have copied those files over to my laptop from my main computer.

To be honest, I missed listening to the antics of Pete, Dick, and Al. In some of the post-EVA audio I was working on, Pete was having issues with a scale he was using to weigh their samples, saying that he wanted to beat someone over the head with it.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

To clarify, I still have those files that I was working on, they're just on my other computer.

---------- Post added 07-27-18 at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-26-18 at 07:44 PM ----------

Lunar Orbit Plane Change 2 is complete.