Acronyms

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I've mentioned a few years ago that www.nasaspaceflight.com has a nifty feature whereby it will use the <abbr> HTML tag to tell you what the acronym stands for in the case of well used acronyms. I had a discussion with Tex about trying to put it into the site a while ago but it impacted server performance far too much.

I've found a (fairly) neat way of doing this for those of you running Firefox. I took a grab of the acronym list on the wiki and created a config file from it. My eventual plan is to have this running as a script on a server somewhere that can generate this daily so that it will be kept up-to-date with the wiki, but that's for another day.

You'll need to install the FoxReplace addon. Once there, you can just load in the config file I've attached and it'll add nice mouse-over descriptions of the acronyms (see image). Once you've done this, you can add/remove acronyms to tune it to your needs. FoxReplace has the functionality to get this config file from a URL periodically and this would be the ideal final solution. It's a bit tetchy at the moment (and so will do things like replace "I went to get a banana" with "[Ground Elapsed Time]" etc, and it may break some of the HTML if the acronym also corresponds to part of the page formatting, but as a proof of concept I think it'll work.

I had to change the filetype to a .txt to allow it to upload (It doesn't like uploading XML files) so either change it back or tell FoxReplace to load "All files"

Attachments

• abbr.png
    abbr.png
    22 KB · Views: 28
  • OF-abbr.txt
    37.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I had to change the filetype to a .txt to allow it to upload (It doesn't like uploading XML files) so either change it back or tell FoxReplace to load "All files"
But the forum allows uploading XML files... in a ZIP archive. ;)