Project ACES Architecture

jpv

Reaction score
Not much new to show right now, been mostly writing the dll's. I've got the full staging system from launch to splashdown done for Orion now, but there's a lot of tweaking required to get it all working smoothly together, and then need to do the same treatment for Altair and the depot.

jpv

Reaction score
A couple of pics of the current status. First one shows the Orion shortly after stage separation and discarding the LAS (haven't yet managed to succesfully orbit the thing though).

Second one has the capsule gently floating down (or rather violently crashing, since there's no aerodynamic model yet ;) ), after another early abort.

Attachments

• orion_staging.jpg
    orion_staging.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 56
  • orion_chutes.jpg
    orion_chutes.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 49

jpv

Reaction score
So when are you planing to release this addon?

When it is done. ;) I'm getting to the point where most of the easy stuff is done, now it's just endless testing and tweaking to make it all work together.

I've been trying different booster implementations, easiest way seems to be writing the whole vehicle as one unit, discarding stages as we go. However I'm leaning towards a more modular approach with attachment points so swapping the first stage is relatively straightforward.

The ULA document uses all the Atlas V and Delta IV launch vehicles, but I'm thinking of just building the Delta IV Heavy configuration. It can be used to launch all the spacecraft with plenty of fuel margin, and I like the idea of using LH2/LO2 for everything from first stage boosters to the spacecraft systems.

It is possible though to launch the Orion with a single Atlas V core and the heavier vehicles with a number of strap-on boosters, this would be the choice if your space agency is strapped for cash. ;)