General Question A couple of (probably embaressing) questions

DanScall

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Right, I have a couple of questions that are probably ridiculously newbie, since I can't find anyone else asking the same thing. That sorta hints to me that I'm just being incredibly dense.

So, without further ado:

1) How in God's name do I get spacecraft to appear in the Scenario Editor list? It's like hit and miss or something. I'm building myself a Space Station and really wanted to use the inflatable ESA module (I'm going for an all-ESA station), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to spawn it in the Scenario Editor. Failing that, I downloaded SSBB4 and used the hab module from there. No problems there, but when I looked for the dry-dock and nuclear reactor from the same add-on, they don't show up either. What's with that?

2) Pretty much same as above, but re. the XR series Payload Editor.

3) Not sure if im being exceptionally dim here or not, but is there a way to work out an appropriate heading for a space-plane to launch on in order to intercept an orbiting spacecraft? Obviously said heading will change depending on the target, but at the moment I'm pretty much going hit and miss and using up tons of fuel doing so.

4) Can you change the key mapping of add-ons somehow? I literally love gregburch's stuff with a passion, but he uses a lot of LSHIFT-NUM# commands, which my crappy little laptop simply cannot handle, for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Many thanks in advance!

...erm, hail :probe:? Everyone else seems to be saying it...

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
3) Not sure if im being exceptionally dim here or not, but is there a way to work out an appropriate heading for a space-plane to launch on in order to intercept an orbiting spacecraft? Obviously said heading will change depending on the target, but at the moment I'm pretty much going hit and miss and using up tons of fuel doing so.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2802"]Launch MFD[/ame]

This is the theory behind it

4) Can you change the key mapping of add-ons somehow? I literally love gregburch's stuff with a passion, but he uses a lot of LSHIFT-NUM# commands, which my crappy little laptop simply cannot handle, for reasons unbeknownst to me.
There is a keymap.cfg file in the orbiter directory that you can use to remap keys. I'm not sure whether Greg's addons take account of this or not. If it's hard coded in his DLLs, there's not a lot that you can do about it. You could always get an external USB keyboard.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
1) How in God's name do I get spacecraft to appear in the Scenario Editor list? It's like hit and miss or something. I'm building myself a Space Station and really wanted to use the inflatable ESA module (I'm going for an all-ESA station), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to spawn it in the Scenario Editor. Failing that, I downloaded SSBB4 and used the hab module from there. No problems there, but when I looked for the dry-dock and nuclear reactor from the same add-on, they don't show up either. What's with that?

OK - The way I tend to do it is the directly edit the SCN file and copy n paste the vessel I want from one of the example scenarios. SCN editor works fine but not all vessels will appear - especially Spacecraft3 vessels.

2) Pretty much same as above, but re. the XR series Payload Editor.
Use this instead [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3312"]Universal Cargo Deck carrier for the XR5[/ame]
Attach that the the XR5 (there is one for the XR2 somewhere) then use UCD to load up cargo.

AG already gave you launch MFD but you could also try [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2464"]Azimuth calculator v. 1.5 - GUI[/ame]

Not if the keys are hard coded into a DLL. If it's SC3 then yes by editing the ini file.

DanScall

Reaction score

First time I tried it got the RInc down to 0.75 degrees! Thanks ever so much, my fuel problems may well be over.

OK - The way I tend to do it is the directly edit the SCN file and copy n paste the vessel I want from one of the example scenarios. SCN editor works fine but not all vessels will appear - especially Spacecraft3 vessels.

Good theory but it seems SSBB comes with no example scenario's. I guess I could just load a different ship and change it though?

Use this instead
Universal Cargo Deck carrier for the XR5
Universal Cargo Deck carrier for the XR5
Attach that the the XR5 (there is one for the XR2 somewhere) then use UCD to load up cargo.

Ahhh, I tried the UCD already but it gave me a whole load of hassle with the XR5, I wasn't aware there was a dedicated version. Thanks!

Thanks to both of you, you've solved all my woes.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
Good theory but it seems SSBB comes with no example scenario's. I guess I could just load a different ship and change it though?
it comes with scenarios with all of the animated station parts (the ones that dont show up in the scn editor) on the ground next to an XR5. then use the payload panel to grapple the ones that you need from the ground before takeoff

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
Reply to point #1:
I believe (but i won't swear to it!)that in order for a ship or module to appear in the scenario editor it has to have an entry in the main orbiter directory under config/vessels and possibly a thumbnail image to display in one of the other dirs(possibly images/vessels but not sure).Go to the config/vessels and open some of the examples in there that are in the scenario editor to see the structure they use.

Reply to point #4:
Greg Burch uses Spacecraft3.dll (or SC1 or SC2) for his addons and the keyboard commands in SC3(and SC1 and SC2)are limited to G,K, and LShift+(numpad)0-9.
There is no way i know of to change these key commands without rewriting and recompiling Vinka's spacecraft3.dll.I had the same notebook problem and the only solution is to get a small external usb keypad and try that.Good luck.

Last edited: