News 3D printing news.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38290486

At first glance, the shed, in a back garden in Swansea, doesn't look remarkable.
Step closer and you'll hear the whirring of a hard-working machine.
Open the door and, while I'd like to tell you it is Tardis-like inside, it isn't.
Every inch of space is rammed with equipment, and silver insulation lines the walls.
It's Mission HQ of an extraordinary duo who call themselves Team Unlimbited - and they are on a self-funded mission to provide free 3D prosthetic hands and arms for children who are born without.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm hoping its going to be a real game-changer, at least for small rockets.
I have got into it, and am building a kit. Cheapest one I could find, so I'm not expecting much. Just learning about the processes and jargon.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...112732/?goal=0_695d5c73dc-45b574433c-64543285

Aerojet Rocketdyne successfully tests 3D printed AR1 engine in bid to replace current RD-180

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-39870829/scientists-3d-print-transparent-glass

Scientists 3D-print transparent glass
Scientists in Germany have successfully 3D-printed transparent glass.
Dr Bastian Rapp and his team from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology spent two and half years developing the method.
They hope to print anything from photographic lenses and fibre optics to glass structures for buildings and rooftops for cars.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Indian teenager Rifath Sharook has designed the “world’s lightest satellite” using a 3D printed carbon fiber reinforced polymer.
The satellite, which weighs just 64 grams, is expected to launch on a sounding rocket from NASA’s Wallops Island facility, Virginia in June. Sharook has named the 4 cm device the ‘Kalam Sat’ in reference to former Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news...113245/?goal=0_695d5c73dc-57adf48abd-64543285

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/S...g_ESA_projects_and_space_firms_to_3D_printing

30 May 2017
ESA is establishing a new ‘one-stop shop’ covering 3D printing for space in partnership with the Manufacturing Technology Centre.
The MTC research organisation, based in Coventry and home to the UK National Centre for Additive Manufacturing, will manage the new ESA Additive Manufacturing Benchmarking Centre (AMBC), which will provide a simple and easy way for ESA projects and hi-tech companies to investigate the potential of 3D printing for their work.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
That's the pro's, usual thing, how much to get the raw material up there?

Its all good news though, the more 3d printing the better, especially extraterrestrial.

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's the pro's, usual thing, how much to get the raw material up there?

Its all good news though, the more 3d printing the better, especially extraterrestrial.

N.

I don't think the con is getting the material up there; that's actually another pro since a mirror that doesn't have to withstand launch accelerations can be made less massive.

The con, I think, is the process itself. Building a large mirror in a factory on the ground requires a large degree of precision and a fair amount of time using traditional methods. Is it possible to achieve the required precision and polishing, etc., with an additive printing process, done remotely with no outside help in zero-G? Maybe with no constant human presence to monitor the process or fix problems?

Certainly once those issues have been engineered out this would be a no-brainer for not just mirrors but all sorts of things that only need to be strong and heavy because they have to ride in a violent launch vehicle.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm guessing that in 20 years time, we wouldn't recognise an orbital 3d printer. More robot than printer. (I think Star Trek had a story about a robotic repair station?).

For a mirror or lens, know nothing about them. Would a 3d printed mirror need polishing? Wouldn't that be took care of in the accuracy of printing?

N.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'm guessing that in 20 years time, we wouldn't recognise an orbital 3d printer. More robot than printer. (I think Star Trek had a story about a robotic repair station?).

For a mirror or lens, know nothing about them. Would a 3d printed mirror need polishing? Wouldn't that be took care of in the accuracy of printing?

N.

Yep, across the board. The automated repair station was in Enterprise, season 2. And the need to polish the mirror or mirror segments is going to be a major issue.