2012 Venus Solar Transit, June 5-6

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Whether and when you can see the 2012 transit of Venus depends on your location. Key highlights include the four "contacts" near the beginning and end of the transit when Venus appears to touch the edge of the sun. Most of North America sees the beginning of the transit in the afternoon and evening (find a clear western horizon!) on June 5, whereas much of Eurasia sees the end of the transit in the morning (find a clear eastern horizon!) on June 6.

Venus to appear in once-in-a-lifetime event

espenak-globalvisibility.png

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not going to see it, unfortunately... WHY????
Good luck for the guys that are going to see it, try to take some pictures and post them here!

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
That won't be as easy as taking an ordinary picture. Since the real aim will be the Sun. And when it comes to photographing the sun, it would need some sort of special filter. You wouldn't want to look at the sun through a telescope either. At least not directly. That can blind you. And doing the same through a camera would be the same, unless your camera is well equipped to specially photograph the sun.

For me, I'll leave that to the guys at NASA since they are far more equipped to doing things of that nature.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know, but there are sooooooo much orbinauts here, and as everybody here loves astronomy, someone should have a special camera, right?

ED_4

Reaction score
I know, but there are sooooooo much orbinauts here, and as everybody here loves astronomy, someone should have a special camera, right?

Maybe those that are specially intrigued at watching and photographing the sun. I don't even have anything remotely like that.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
You could just use a telescope and a peice of white paper to project the Sun.

ED_4

Reaction score
You could just use a telescope and a peice of white paper to project the Sun.

That old fashioned way may work. Weather permitting. Over here, we've been known to get the "June gloom" during the month of June. Usually on days like that all the whole sky can be all overcast. And right now, it's even come in early and started doing that in some days of the week.

And since it's way too early to tell. I don't even know what sort of weather we'll have for that part of June.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, will be around sunrise here.
A piece of plywood over the window, poke a tiny hole in it, watch the transit projected on the opposite wall. Pinhole camera, room-sized.

Spaced

Reaction score
"once-in-a-lifetime event"

Drat, does that mean I can't watch this one? I used up my turn on the 2004 transit.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Drat, does that mean I can't watch this one? I used up my turn on the 2004 transit.
Hehe, it's more of a twice in a lifetime opportunity, but only if you are prepared to travel :)

I'm looking forward to this event, except that I'll be at work. Perhaps I'll organise a staff star party on the office roof :hmm: This looks like it will be just the trick for group viewing: http://transitofvenus.nl/wp/observing/build-a-sun-funnel/

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I may get to see this one, but ill post the photos i got of the 2004 transit.

picture.php

I used a tripod with recently cleaned set of binoculars set on top. and a bourd with some white paper.

After i processed the photos i got this.
picture.php

I hope to get something better this time.

Gerdih

Reaction score
If I can I will try to do something with a paper and my telescope but I see Im in the limit of the visibility. Moreover 5 or 6 are not on a weekend.

Unstung

Reaction score
I wonder if I can directly take a picture of the sun during the transit using a neutral density filter on my lens.