Question Would it be possible to create a GyroscopeMFD

Matte

Reaction score
...an MFD that simulate the presence of gyroscopes aboard a vessel to stabilize, let's say, a station built in LEO with several modules?
or modifications to do in .cfg to stabilise the complex in flight? attitude MFD for big complexes like ISS-like assembled station works bad...
too much fuel wasted due to oscillation...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I don't see why not.
Not really. I know that Attitude MFD and universal pointing MFD will do the job but they use propellant from the tanks so what you need is a mode where it doesn't use any propellant to "simulate" the CMG's.

Matte

Reaction score
I don't see why not.
Not really. I know that Attitude MFD and universal pointing MFD will do the job but they use propellant from the tanks so what you need is a mode where it doesn't use any propellant to "simulate" the CMG's.

exactly. is there anyone who is interested in working on such a module/modification?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the ISSU is working on a system to simulate CMGs, and I think the author of AttitudeMFD is working on an update that will include a CMG mode, but I'm not sure on that last one.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
A CMG mode in Attitude MFD would be brilliant. I'd very much like to see that one!

Matte

Reaction score
I think the ISSU is working on a system to simulate CMGs, and I think the author of AttitudeMFD is working on an update that will include a CMG mode, but I'm not sure on that last one.

i hope, if possible, that they'll release it also as a separate module, to be used with a range of spacecraft. it would be usefull to stabilize my Space Station in orbit during approach and docking with resupply spacecraft...

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Tblaxland was working on CMG's + MFD's last time I checked, and I hope to eventually use those in ISSU...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Tblaxland was working on CMG's + MFD's last time I checked, and I hope to eventually use those in ISSU...
That is correct. I am rewriting AttitudeMFD from the ground up to support this. I am making steady, but slow, progress. I'm not willing to commit to a date at this stage...

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Matte, let me give you a handshake for starting this thread. I had the very same idea just this morning in the shower. I wanted start a thread about it, then I thought I might try to use the search function and... *bang*, your thread popped up! :)

To Tblaxland:

Will you try to enable your new MFD to be used for specific vessels, even if the focus is set on a different vessel afterwards? Also, will it be independent of the viewpoint of the focused vessel, I mean the ISS fleet for example offers different exterior "camera views" to select from and the current AttitudeMFD tries to adjust the preselected velocity (vector) attitude to the new relative orientation, as soon as switching to one of the external views (e.g. along the main truss)? Just curious. Keep it up! BTW, I really like the orbiterwiki - AttitudeMFD page, very nice idea, highly recommendable! :cheers:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I had the very same idea just this morning in the shower.

When you think about Orbiter in the shower, you are spending too much time on it:rofl:

---
---
---
---
---

OK, fine! I admit - I do it too!!!;)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Will you try to enable your new MFD to be used for specific vessels, even if the focus is set on a different vessel afterwards?
Yes, the autopilots will still operate when the vessel no longer has the focus. The new object model has vessel specific guidance and control objects that are persistent. You will also be able to view/control a vessel's attitude from an MFD in another vessel. Current object model is attached, FYI.

Also, will it be independent of the viewpoint of the focused vessel, I mean the ISS fleet for example offers different exterior "camera views" to select from and the current AttitudeMFD tries to adjust the preselected velocity (vector) attitude to the new relative orientation, as soon as switching to one of the external views (e.g. along the main truss)?
This is a known bug in Attitude MFD v3.2 (and v3.0, IIRC) and will be addressed by the new aforementioned guidance and control objects.

Keep it up! BTW, I really like the orbiterwiki - AttitudeMFD page, very nice idea, highly recommendable! :cheers:

Attachments

• Attitude MFD V4.0 Class Diagram 20090416.png
    Attitude MFD V4.0 Class Diagram 20090416.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: