Tiangong-1 strange orbit

cristiapi

Reaction score
I simulated with Orbiter the Tiangong-1 reentry. The result fairly agrees with a standalone specially crafted simulation.
Since the radius vector and the orbital speed seem to have a “strange” shape, I created the attached graph to better understand how the orbit is changing.
I used 133 TLEs downloaded from celestrak.com. For each TLE, I calculate the satellite's position and speed by mean of the SGP4 propagator. I collect those values starting from 2 orbits before the TLE epoch to 2 orbits after the TLE epoch with a step of 0.5 s.
The graph shows the min, the average and the max values obtained for each TLE (there are 4 orbits for 1 TLE which is 1 point, since there are 133 TLEs, each plot consists of 133 points).

TIA_PV_TLE.png

We see that the Tiangong-1 is currently loosing 128 m/day and that it accelerates of about 73 mm/s/day; nothing strange here.
What seems strange to me is that the shape of both the speed min and speed max plots don’t follow the sinusoidal shape of the distance, the upper part of the plot is flat.
Please, could somebody explain why?

Last edited:

cristiapi

Reaction score
Probably it is of no interest to anyone, but just for comparison, here is the same graph for the ISS (the reboosts are also showed):

ISS_PV_TLE.png

It’s very clear that the speed plot matches the radius vector plot, there is no flat region, while for the Tiangong-1 that doesn’t happen.
I know that made in the U.S.A. is better than made in china (even if made in Italy is the best) :lol:, but is there any explanation for that strange Tiangong-1 plot?

Last edited: