Satellite Simulation

DarkAnt

Reaction score
I'd like to use Orbiter to simulate launching a rocket with a payload into space and then maneuver the payload into the correct orbit. I'll assume this has been done before. I took a quick glance at some of the addons, but I didn't see something like it. Basically I'd like to pick the launch location, have some way of initializing the launch trajectory and then define some maneuvers to be done to get the payload in an orbit of my choosing. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Try Energia by Kulch, It has a few autopilots and payloads.

To define an orbit, use the orbit insert mode on IMFD.

The links to these addons are in the FAQ

To change the Launch Location use the Scenario editor.

Although I should point out, what I think you are asking is different from the 'normal' way in Orbiter.
Orbiter is a lot more complicated then just punching in some numbers. You will have to understand Orbital Physics at some point.

Welcome to Orbiter

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll put in a plug for my Sea Launch, with Istotchnikov's DirecTV-11 Satellite. It's going into Geosynchronous orbit, so a bit more challenging than simply achieving LEO:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3277"]Sea Launch 2008[/ame]

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has yet done a real satellite operations sim addon for Orbiter, probably because in real life I doubt it's so exciting as a cockpit view.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Satellite operations can be fun :) I mean - it's remote control, remote control is fun!