Question PARTICLESTREAM Contrail using Vinka's Spacecraft

tradx

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have trying to add some contrail effects to the main thruster of a satellite that I am currently building using Vinka's spacecraft3.dll but I can't make it work

My last attempt has been trying to replicate the contrail effects used by Perseus add-on ([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3629"]Perseus Deep Space Ship[/ame])

Here below is the code that I use in the config.ini file

[TEXTURE_LIST]
TEX_1="Contrail2"

[PARTICLESTREAM_1]
NAME=contrail
TEX=Contrail2
SRCSIZE=4
SRCRATE=5000
V0=100
SRCSPREAD=0.0
LIFETIME=0.6
GROWTHRATE=14
ATMSLOWDOWN=0
LTYPE=EMISSIVE
LEVELMAP=LVL_PSQRT
LMIN=0
LMAX=1
ATMSMAP=ATM_PLOG
AMIN=1e-4
AMAX=2

[CONFIG]
MAIN_PSTREAM1=contrail

When I run it for some reason Orbiter loads another exhaust texture for the main thruster and no contrail effects at all

Any help/ ideas will be welcome

Thanks!

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Read the documentation and look specifically at the definition of these things :

Code:
ATMSMAP=ATM_PLOG
AMIN=1e-4
AMAX=2

IIRC, spaceraft3 (and multistage) intentionally cause the particle streams to fade with altitude so that they don't display in space.

tradx

Reaction score
Thnks for your reply boogabooga,

I went indeed through all the parameters of the PARTICLESTREAMSPEC Struct Reference including the atmospheric params you mention. Unfortunatelly I didn't see any difference by tweaking those params :(

My concern here is, why the exact same parameters work fine with the Perseus spacecraft but not with mine....

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Try to use the atm_flat settings with min and max both to 1, does that work?

tradx

Reaction score
Thanks fred18 for your reply!
At the end I retrieved the values of the PARTICLESTREAMSPEC class from "mars cargo dragon add-on" (thanks to brianj for sharing the sdk) which implements the contrail effect that I was looking for and it worked! by the way using ATM_FLAT as you suggested;)

PARTICLESTREAMSPEC exhaust_main = {
0, 0.4, 40, 40, 0.02, 0.02, -0.1, 10, PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::EMISSIVE,
PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::LVL_SQRT, 1, 1,
PARTICLESTREAMSPEC::ATM_FLAT, 1, 1,
exhaust2
};
The definition of the parameters passed to the PARTICLESTREAMSPEC funtion can be found in page 308 of the API Reference (./Orbitersdk/doc):thumbup: