OHM Level 11 BMNG Earth Textures: January, High Quality

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: felix24

NASA Blue Marble Next Generation textures for Earth.  Textures are Level 11 worldwide.  Features seasonal variations in vegetation color, snow cover, polar caps, sea ice, and fresh water lake ice.

Two texture qualities are available:
Standard quality, about 800MB per month unzipped, 9.5GB for 12 months
High quality, about 2.1GB per month unzipped, 26.5GB for 12 months

Standard quality is recommended for normal use, but some shorlines and islands may be blurry.  High quality is recommended if disk space is not an issue, and allows all shorelines, islands, and remote atolls to be visible in sharp detail.

Installation:
1) Unzip into the Orbiter root folder.  A folder named "BMNG Earth" will be created, containing a sub-folder with the month's textures.
2) Copy the files that begin with "earth" into the Textures2 folder.
3) Open the file Config\Earth.cfg.  Find the line "AtmFogParam = 5e-5 3e-5 4e3" and change it to "AtmFogParam = 5e-5 3e-5 1e4 ;4e3"

DOWNLOAD

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I've opted for this particular set of Hi-Res textures. No problems at all downloading or installing. Smooth as silk :)

Very impressive work and thank you for the time and effort you've put into all of these Lvl 11 textures felix24.

Spoilt for choice we are :thumbup:

Felix24

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the kind words.

I've had the idea for at least six years, ever since I saw the BMNG monthly textures on NASA's Visible Earth website. I thought to myself, "Wow, wouldn't it be cool if someone could make those available for Orbiter!" and over the years nobody did it. So I made it myself. It took a year, a fair bit of dedication, days of messing with textures in Paint Shop Pro, and many CPU-days of crunching scripts and compiling textures.

I am delighted that each month can fit on OrbitHangar as its own file, even the high quality ones. I originally wanted to offer the textures as packs of 4 or 12 months and distribute them as torrents, but that would have been a project in itself. I like it better this way; people can download as little or as much as they want, and it's all conveniently hosted on OrbitHangar.

I am glad you're enjoying them!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I've opted for this particular set of Hi-Res textures...
In fact, apart from the terrific level of detail/choice we've got, just installing one month (and sticking to it) it's an unbelievable gain in eye candy.
:hailprobe:

...I've had the idea for at least six years, ever since I saw the BMNG monthly textures on NASA's Visible Earth website. I thought to myself, "Wow, wouldn't it be cool if someone could make those available for Orbiter!" and over the years nobody did it...
And here's one trace of your idea...
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=380516&postcount=29

Last edited: