GLOBE at Night global sky observation is on again

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
http://www.globe.gov/GaN/index.html
GLOBE at Night brings people outside to observe the constellation Orion from 16-28 March 2009. Participants simply choose a clear night on which stars are visible, take measurements of stars in this portion of the sky using GLOBE's Magnitude Charts, and enter observations into the GLOBE at Night Web site. Students — alongside teachers, parents and community members-- amass a data set from which they can begin to explore the concept of light pollution and to research the patterns of light pollution across the globe.
I've entered my obs for last night, about mag 4 at zenith compared to the more usual mag 3. I think the warmish north-east breeze kept the smog under an inversion because the light pollution was relatively low at the zenith yet poor at the horizon.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I am thinking that I will be at least 5 or 6 for me

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I am thinking that I will be at least 5 or 6 for me
That's pretty good given the size of Toowoomba. I guess being on top of the Great Divide gets you out of Brisbane's pollution.

When I go to Forster, I can normally get about mag 6, depending on the amount of salt spray in the air. I saw Lulin and Ceres from there a few weeks back.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's pretty good given the size of Toowoomba. I guess being on top of the Great Divide gets you out of Brisbane's pollution.

When I go to Forster, I can normally get about mag 6, depending on the amount of salt spray in the air. I saw Lulin and Ceres from there a few weeks back.

I don't actually live in Toowoomba.

My location general masks most of the light pollution from town(hill between us and city centre), you can see so glow of to the south. More concerning is the light coming from Highfields