Question 'Fighting for your staff'

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
As you probably know me, as I've mentioned my position in that big international firm, and I run incognito on the net for obvious reasons :thumbup:

I've had an interesting fortnight, as I've 'protected' technical staff from 'mole attacks', in the usual 'Technical-vs-Admin war' that one often experiences in companies.

I come from 30 years in a technical/engineering background, with many certificate/qualification papers stapled to my forehead.. never really bothered with management until I just 'walked' into such a position.. actually laughed when offered the position - 'Ja sure.. OK'

No sooner had settling in started, and another new arrival appeared. I knew him and then the trouble began. It began to rearrange everything.. trespassing over my territory. I let it go for a few weeks, as we had similar priorities, but then it began to specifically target my technical staff , really upsetting them !!

I run a happy shop, and this little sh1t, BS'ing a main Director (who initially believed him).. was making my life difficult. One or two sleepless nights and I moved in for the kill.. and I poked and prodded, emails and technical meetings, slowly neutralising every BS he is trying - always giving him enough rope to hang himself.

I've always kept my technical staff informed, explaining the scenarios.. and how we do things... and what is expected. We're all mature adults here.. and we're a happy technical division once again. :cheers:
Not to mention.. I lead from the front..I do the same work as the people under me.. but add the extra admin stuff... no real big deal ;)

Happy staff make a better work environment for all. :thumbup:
This scenario was all so unnecessary :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Looking at that.. It does sound like a trumpet :rofl:

Awwww what the hell.. I feel I've made some peoples life more bearable in the work environment.. I never had that !!

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Let's clone you and put your clones in every management position. Things would go so much more smoothly.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Let's clone you and put your clones in every management position. Things would go so much more smoothly.
You must be careful of that.. we can get quite hysterical in our local division. :lol:

Other divisions are somewhat more difficult as they not sure of the personal contact.. but you try your best.

It sounds like one big joke.. but it is like that for a few minutes.. then watch how people happily apply themselves to their workload !!
A continuous process

:)

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I actually took a big risk with the one technical guy, and with decades of technical experience behind me, I recognised this guys potential.

The non-technical Admin staff (and it) were (are) baying for his blood, and I stepped in and said NO.. We keep this guy.. I'll look after him.

The reward is starting to pay off.. a lot more work.. but it will pay off big time in the end ;)

Last edited:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Final update..
The 'troublesome' person has been 'demoted', and relegated to minor duties.
Technical are very happy and now we can now get on with our lives..
Funny we were all High Five'ing. :cheers: .. that's how bad it had got !!

Sad though.. I actually feel sorry for him, but what else were we to do ? :shrug:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Until the person realizes that their predicament is of their own making, they will not improve their behavior. I've seen it too many time over 35 years or so.

As a wrench spinner I've seen them come and go. The good news (for me) is that they will get transferred. The bad news is; that when e get a good one, they too get transferred.