Request Double Bang sonic boom Wav

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi is there a double sonic boom wave avaliable for the space shuttle. I noticed that you can always hear two sonic booms when she goes subsonic just before landing.It would be a great addon that adds to the realism of orbiter. Thanks

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi
you can hear the sonic boom all the time an object moves at supersonic speed. It is a common misbelief that only in the transition phase a boom is generated.
A cone-shaped shock wave moves away from the object. A bit simplified: what you hear is the quick raise of air pressure that emerges from the front part and the fallback to normal pressure when the wave generated by the aft part reach your ears.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are more than one sonic boom wav file included with Orbiter Sound; I think one of them is a distant-sounding double crack. Look in the Orbiter Sound docs for info on how to use different wavs for different sound effects.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hi
you can hear the sonic boom all the time an object moves at supersonic speed. It is a common misbelief that only in the transition phase a boom is generated.
A cone-shaped shock wave moves away from the object. A bit simplified: what you hear is the quick raise of air pressure that emerges from the front part and the fallback to normal pressure when the wave generated by the aft part reach your ears.

Actually the second crack is a sharp rise back to normal pressure. The pressure profile is a sharp rise from normal pressure to a higher pressure, as you described, then a (relatively) slow drop down to below normal pressure, and then a sharp rise back to normal pressure.

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Some months ago I wanted to create a new (double) sonic boom wave file for my Orbiter installation, however, I was getting close to pulling my hair out due to the fact that in seemingly every of the STS Shuttle landing videos on youtube which were recorded from Nasa TV had the narrator either speak while the boom could be heard or shortly thereafter while the boom was still echoing. Don't know which missions they were exactly, but some had a really fantastic clear sound of the boom and the reverberant sound, if it just wasn't for the narrator ruining everything... Aaaargh.

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a camcorder tape of a shuttle landing from the VIP site at the SLF, I know there's a double boom on there, but I don't know what the quality is like; I'll take a look later tonight.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been searching the web for a better aonic boom wav but I just installed IE7 and for some reason I can't hear sounds by clicking on file links anymore, so I have to download each one first. :-(

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Some months ago I wanted to create a new (double) sonic boom wave file for my Orbiter installation, however, I was getting close to pulling my hair out due to the fact that in seemingly every of the STS Shuttle landing videos on youtube which were recorded from Nasa TV had the narrator either speak while the boom could be heard or shortly thereafter while the boom was still echoing. Don't know which missions they were exactly, but some had a really fantastic clear sound of the boom and the reverberant sound, if it just wasn't for the narrator ruining everything... Aaaargh.

You may be interested in ARSS (Analysis and Resynthesis Sound Spectrograph). It converts a *.wav file into a *.bmp, with time on the x axis, frequency on the y axis, and intensity indicated on a grayscale. Speech has a fairly distinct look on a spectrogram, and the boom is likely to be *very* distinct (though I can only say from intuition, not from having worked with sound files containing sonic booms), so you should be able to convert your sound file, edit the speech out of the bmp, convert back, and be left with a fairly pure boom.

And looking at the site, apparently the author has introduced a GUI interface for it, Photosounder, that I haven't tried out yet. I will have to do so.

http://arss.sourceforge.net/

EDIT: Oh, never mind about photosounder. It's not freeware, whereas ARSS is, though a 25 Euro non-commercial license is available.

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I checked my tape and there's quite a lot of background noise and the announcer was talking over the tannoy around the same time; I'm not sure whether he was talking over the boom, but there's probably too much noise for it to be usable.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. I am looking to create one my self with sound forge. I think I could take the sonic boom from orbiter and try and double it, and making the second one not as loud and maybe adding in some Echo. When I am done I would be happy to share it with who ever wants it or
I'll put it on orbiter hanger. If you find anything more please let me know Thanks.