Apollo 7: Voice Update P27?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to accomplish the voice update P27. I'm using the PAMFD checklist and following along with the AOH procedure, but I'm doing something wrong.

I've got the PAD, I key in V71E, I see P27 with F 21 01, R1 and R2 are blank, and R3 shows 00304. Now I'm supposed to input the PAD data. My first line on the PAD shows 02 01501, so I key in 01501 (into R1) and hit ENTER. R1 blanks, but that's it. The AOH says R3 should increment by 1, but I still see 00304. Am I supposed to be entering the 02 first, then 01501?
I'm missing something.

Thanks

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah it's a bit of an unfortunate formatting of the PAD. The first line is "304 01 Index 21". When you see 304 you enter the first item, which is 21. That's the total number of lines (in octal) in this update. So you do V71E, 21E, 1501E and so on.

Wedge313

Reaction score
What might cause a 1301 alarm? (AOH says to record N08, notify MSFN, and continue. So, I'm informing you :confused:)

I'm not sure what's been going on, but when I ran the V82 to set up the ORDEAL I got a 1301 alarm. I Assumed that I had performed the P27 incorrectly, so I carefully re-entered the PAD data, and still got the 1301 alarm when I ran V82. I then used the RTCC and uplinked the state vector, and still got the 1301. After a few more attempts of entering the P27 data (both manually and uplinking with the RTCC) I finally got the V82 to run without a 1301. I have no idea what I did differently, or what happened to cause the 1301 to go away.

One other P27 related question: after entering the PAD data, the PAMFD just has us hit PRO to accept the data. The AOH has us hit V33E to accept (this is what I see at the end of a state vector uplink). I tried both methods during my 1301 alarm troubleshooting, but I didn't associate either method as the reason the 1301 went away. So what is the correct procedure, PRO or V33?

Thanks

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What might cause a 1301 alarm? (AOH says to record N08, notify MSFN, and continue. So, I'm informing you :confused:)

I'm not sure what's been going on, but when I ran the V82 to set up the ORDEAL I got a 1301 alarm. I Assumed that I had performed the P27 incorrectly, so I carefully re-entered the PAD data, and still got the 1301 alarm when I ran V82. I then used the RTCC and uplinked the state vector, and still got the 1301. After a few more attempts of entering the P27 data (both manually and uplinking with the RTCC) I finally got the V82 to run without a 1301. I have no idea what I did differently, or what happened to cause the 1301 to go away.

Hmm, then you might have entered a very bad state vector. 1301 is "Arcsin or arccos input greater than 1". I hope you didn't do the V71 for a wrong address at first and overwrite some important data. Strange programs alarm can also mean some problem with the REFSMMAT. But if the 1301 don't come back you are probably ok.

One other P27 related question: after entering the PAD data, the PAMFD just has us hit PRO to accept the data. The AOH has us hit V33E to accept (this is what I see at the end of a state vector uplink). I tried both methods during my 1301 alarm troubleshooting, but I didn't associate either method as the reason the 1301 went away. So what is the correct procedure, PRO or V33?

They are exactly the same. The original Block II DSKY design didn't even have a PRO button, you always had to do V33E. That became a bit cumbersome I guess, so someone made the wise choice to re-purpose the STBY button for this very common procedure. But because of the original design it is not possible to uplink a PRO, they always have to uplink V33E. So maybe the P27 procedures are just using V33E to be the same as the uplinks. But functionally PRO and V33E do exactly the same thing.

Wedge313

Reaction score
MID-MISSION NASSP APOLLO 7 FLIGHT EVALUATION REPORT: PROGRAMS P22 AND P23

1.0 INTRODUCTION

THIS IS A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION OF THE FLIGHT CREW'S PERFORMANCE WHILE PERFORMING THE P22 and P23 PROGRAMS. TESTS WERE PERFORMED WHILE CONDUCTING THE NASSP APOLLO 7 SIMULATION IN EARTH ORBIT.

1.1 PROGRAM P22

AFTER CONDUCTING NUMEROUS P22s, IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED IT IS HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THIS FLIGHT CREW TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM A P22 AT NORMAL SIMULATION SPEEDS. (SEE 2.0 POSTFLIGHT LAPTOP KEYBOARD ANALYSIS AND 3.0 POSTFLIGHT MEDICAL OFFICER REPORT)

1.2 PROGRAM P23

NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS WERE MADE TO PERFORM PROGRAM P23, USING BOTH STAR/EARTH HORIZON AND STAR/LUNAR HORIZON. STAR/EARTH HORIZON MARKS COULD NOT BE CONDUCTED DUE TO THE FLIGHT CREW'S INABILITY TO DISCERN THE HORIZON. STAR/LUNAR HORIZON MARKS WERE NOT PERFORMED DUE TO THE SPACECRAFT'S STUBBORN REFUSAL TO LOCATE THE MOON.

2.0 POSTFLIGHT LAPTOP KEYBOARD ANALYSIS

THE SIMULATION WAS CONDUCTED USING A COMPUTATIONALLY CHALLENGED DELL LAPTOP. AFTER PERFORMING THE SCHEDULED P22s, IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE KEYBOARD W, A, S, AND D KEYS SUFFERED STRUCTURAL FAILURE AFTER BEING MASHED FRANTICALLY WHILE ATTEMPING TO KEEP THE OPTICS CENTERED ON THE SELECTED LANDMARK.

3.0 POSTFLIGHT MEDICAL OFFICER REPORT

MEDICAL EVALUATION OF THE FLIGHT CREWMEMBER AFTER CONDUCTING THE P22 SERIES SHOWED SIGNIFICANT MUSCLE AND TENDON DAMAGE TO THE FINGERS OF THE LEFT HAND, INCURRED WHILE FRANTICALLY MASHING THE W, A, S, AND D KEYS.

THE CREWMEMBER ALSO EXHIBITED SYMPTOMS CONSISTENT WITH POST-TRAMATIC STRESS DISORDER, AND THE DAMAGE TO HIS SELF-ESTEEM MAY BE IRREPARABLE.

4.0 FLIGHT DIRECTOR EVALUATION OF CREW PERFORMANCE

PATHETIC. HOW THE (DELETED) DID THIS CREWMEMBER GET INTO THE PROGRAM?

4.1 FLIGHT DIRECTOR RECOMMENDATION

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE FLIGHT CREW IGNORE ANY FURTHER REQUESTS TO PERFORM PROGRAM P22 OR P23 WHILE IN EARTH ORBIT.

IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED THAT THE FLIGHT CREW PAUSE THE SIMULATION, AND GO GRAB ANOTHER CUP OF COFFEE.

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED,