Advanced Question Using the VAB

chevelle505

Reaction score
So im using SSV and I see it has the crawler, which is awesome. However, I tried to add it to a scenario and it just crashes (Crash to desktop). basically i went to the ssv mission editor and added the crawler in the other vehicles tab, then exported it to a scenario, no dice. Any chance you guys have Ideas on how to get a shuttle stack in the VAB on the crawler? Also, I remember years ago Having one of the orbiters in the OPF, made for really cool screenshots but i cant remember of I did it. How can I accomplish these?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not all aspects of ground operations have been implemented yet. So far, only the Crawler on its own is really supported. Nothing else.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Ok, well that’s a bummer..but glad to hear they’re being worked on!
So two more questions, as I didn’t want to start yet another thread just to ask them..
1, can I turn off all the venting on the launch pad and control the part that closes over the shuttle bay (on the pad…used to be able to do that with ssu)

And 2, which is kinda unrelated but, when I’m on orbit and I execute item 19 to roll the orbiter to retrograde, it move so slow it take it almost an entire orbit to reach position, and same when I go prograde and nose up for entry..are there different “rates” or some parameter I can adjust to make it maneuver faster? In real life I know it’s not particularly fast, but it happens within a couple minutes..I can manually do it, but the DAP won’t..how can I fix this?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Ok, well that’s a bummer..but glad to hear they’re being worked on!
Well, not really being worked on at the moment...

1, can I turn off all the venting on the launch pad and control the part that closes over the shuttle bay (on the pad…used to be able to do that with ssu)
You should take a look at the manual:
Most pad structures are controlled automatically during
the countdown, but manual control is available for all of
them via a dialog window which is opened by the keys
Ctrl+Space.

And 2, which is kinda unrelated but, when I’m on orbit and I execute item 19 to roll the orbiter to retrograde, it move so slow it take it almost an entire orbit to reach position, and same when I go prograde and nose up for entry..are there different “rates” or some parameter I can adjust to make it maneuver faster? In real life I know it’s not particularly fast, but it happens within a couple minutes..I can manually do it, but the DAP won’t..how can I fix this?
You are probably in "VERN" mode. Hit the "PRI" PBI on panel C3, and the rates will be faster, but more prop will be used, so use that only for burns and large maneuvers.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Man, I can’t thank you enough. I honestly have read the manual, just obviously missed that, sorry about that. I really do try to make a conscious effort to not ask too many questions without reading the manual, there just so much lol between SSV and the nasa manuals lol. So I have the structure control now, but how can I stop the engines from “venting”? And I try to move the rotating service structure but it won’t move.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
how can I stop the engines from “venting”?
That is not controllable.

And I try to move the rotating service structure but it won’t move.
Before the RSS moves, there are some structures that open/close, so motion is not immediate. And I think the OAA has to be extended.

chevelle505

Reaction score
what IS that venting from the engines? I remember in shuttle fleet being able to turn it on and off which was awsome for screenshots etc..just dont remember what it was lol

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
what IS that venting from the engines? I remember in shuttle fleet being able to turn it on and off which was awsome for screenshots etc..just dont remember what it was lol
It is the Intermediate Seal purge dump on the High Pressure Oxidizer Turbopump in each engine... and in SSV it is not manually controlled. 😒

chevelle505

Reaction score
Gotchya, thanks!
So I tried the “PRI” mode and no change, for some reason it’s extremely slow to rotate with the DAP. Do I have this set up correctly?IMG_5967.jpeg

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Gotchya, thanks!
So I tried the “PRI” mode and no change, for some reason it’s extremely slow to rotate with the DAP. Do I have this set up correctly?View attachment 38075
That should be it. That should give 1 or 2º/s (you can check the actual value in SPEC 20). Remember, the Space Shuttle was not built in Hollywood, so it didn't produce the cinematic images of wild gyrations and thrusters firing all over the place, it was "boring" with turns at low rates so the propellant wasn't wasted.
Still the implementation of the Orbit DAP and RCS is not that great at the moment, and will see improvements sometime in the near future.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Perfect!!! THANK YOU GLS!!!! Got it figured out and corrected!

BTW As far as the purge dump on the engines, please don’t think I was downing SSV in any way…it’s just a cool feature that I’d love to be able to turn off (even by modifying a file if necessary) just to have a static shuttle stack sitting on the pad. I hope maybe in the future this can be implemented somehow with a simple key bind….but I do mean this, SSV is one of the best simulation addons I’ve ever tried, you have done an absolute stellar job on this, and I know the work it takes over years to be able to recreate the worlds most complex man made vehicle!
And sincerely, thank you for your patience and answering my newbie questions, even if it WAS in the manual lol 😂 it is much appreciated!