Orbiter Screenshot Thread

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He, His, Him or You, Your, Yours
Monday morning. Clear sky. The SLS is ready for a launch from Cape Canaveral.
Screenshot (127414).png

Liftoff!
Screenshot (127415).png

But a few seconds after launch...
Screenshot (127416).png
The pilot even tried to prevent that, but nothing helped. The rocket exploded simulation crashed to desktop.

Screenshot (127420).png
"About To Explode" No, about to crash to desktop.

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Actually no, it rotates like this everytime I launch it (and don't steer against the rotation with all power until the rotation gets too strong) and then it CTDs when it would most likely explode in real. The SLS seems not to love manual control. But there is one lifesaver: autopilot. At least that makes it go to orbit successfully.

Last edited:

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
SLS' second launch attempt: successful. Manual control seems not to work (although I have launched many other rockets to space before manually). But autopilot is the best option when it gets too hard.
Screenshot (127480).png
Screenshot (127481).png

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Great addons, with a little makeover (tex. etc.) they'd be right up front (aren't they all SC?)

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
aren't they all SC?
Yes. They all require Spacecraft3.dll. And SwiftSS Aerospaceplane too. I just want to shown a couple of screenshots of it as well:

b.pnga.png

I tried it with Legacy Touchdown Points, and the vessels move along the ground quite stable, although sometimes some problems occur.

I'm just amazed what the highly-detailed texture labels (fonts) were used for these addons in 2007.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
These would be perfect to convert to VB (great for learning too!), unfortuneately GregBurch hasn't been around for a long time, but if you release it as a patch it shouldn't be a problem, I would love to see these in current Orbiters (it was on my long list of "must have" addons I wanted to update), certainly help where I can.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Monday, September 2, 2024.

LAX_1.JPG

Picture 1: Right-wing chase plane footage as Enterprise overflies the Los Angeles River. Signal Hill, Seal Beach and Long Beach are visible in the distance.

LAX_2.JPG

Picture 2: Left-wing chase plane footage as
Enterprise continues its overflight over the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, with Santa Monica, the Pacific Palisades, and the Pacific Coast Highway in view.

LAX_3.JPG

Picture 3: A view from ground level as Enterprise overflies.

SDO-201 'Enterprise' has spent the last 160 days berthed in OPF-5 at Edwards Air Force Base in California. All major repair milestones have been met, inspections have been completed, and a spaceworthiness release and authorization for return to service has been committed.

Enterprise launched from Edwards AFB at 8:00 local time and completed its 50-minute suborbital flight at the Kennedy Space Center while carrying out a special overflight of the City of Los Angeles upon departure. This leg of the flight, carried out subsonically and above the arrival and departure corridors of commercial air traffic (to chiefly limit noise and risk of collision with other aircraft operating in the area) was done to allow the general public visibility on Enterprise's return to service.

SDO-201 has been tapped to run the next iteration of the ongoing SOFIR (Safer Options for Flying In Radiation) experiment battery, plus a classified DOD mission.

Last edited:

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Collection of random Orbiter bugs because I was bored:

A funny Delta IV Heavy submarine (which not only works in water!):
Screenshot (135616).png

Oh no, my rocket got banned from the solar system!:
Screenshot (135625).png

Surface Crash + Lag =
Screenshot (135652).png

Orbiter has secret super powers: It can slow down your ship withing a few milliseconds in the atmosphere, no matter how fast you were before entering the atmosphere. If you get below ca. 40 km altitude inside Earth's atmosphere, there is no way to escape Orbiter's super power in any way
(Note: The following view is looking down at the ocean, not up at the sky!):
Screenshot (135680).png
Screenshot (135681).png

Blaming a surface landing bug (which also occurs on land on some vessels) on normal water floating:
Screenshot (135687).png

EDIT:

A few minutes ago, I encountered another bug: While being "quasi"-landed (touching planet's surface but having not zero speed), I pressed CTRL+S (quicksave) which caused a second-long lag because I had hundreds of other quicksaves and I got again banned from the solar system, but with (warning, huge numbers ahead!) 5,051,683,737,148,823,552 meters/s or 33,768,420.0551 AU/S or 533.963392339 lightyears/s. Because of floating point imprecisions, the camera distance from the center of the vessel is 0, thus the view from inside the shuttle. I was unable to open the MFDs (even in cockpit view!), but I luckily was able to open an external MFD to see what's going on. A scenario file is attached ("shuttle banned from solar system.scn") for those of you who want to experience this bug. Simply copy it in your Orbiter\Scenarios directory and load it from the Orbiter scenario list.

Screenshot (135812).png

Attachments

• shuttle banned from solar system.scn
    4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Two things from yesterday:

1. Docking a shuttle-derived orbiter to the ISS, switching focus to the ISS itself, and transitioning from the ISS's CBM through Constitution's extendable docking port ostensibly enables M.C. Escher mode.

psychedelic_ISS.JPG

2. Someone has brought to our attention that there is a size concern with the shuttle-derived orbiters and extended ISS ops. I'm not sure what the problem is.

ISS_and_elephantine_orbiter.JPG