Request DGIV: From Europa to Io

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
I replied directly (PM) to a request about the VEEP to Mars scenario presenting a solution to him of a single 4100 m/s burn to go to Mars which was obtained using a surrogate. But later I played around just by gut feel and found a nicer (but related) one with a single 3800 m/s burn.
In the DGIV Mission Scenary folder is the Martian bound VEEP challenge.

Solution:
On start of scenario leave both ship and pod docked but change the date using scenario editor forward about 18 days to 60266.5000
Then undock the ship only and set up the following TransX maneuver.

Prograde= 3.78 Km/sec
Outward= 0.0
Plane Change = -295 m/sec

For the date of the maneuver, after the above values are input, advance the date. But you should first set up the next 2 stages so you can see what the date input is providing. So, escape Titan, then forward, escape Saturn, then forward, target Mars and leave one MFD in stage 3 (Solar orbit with Mars as target).

Back to date of the maneuver... advance it using ultra and soon you will see (in stage 3) the trajectory showing a path inward toward the inner planets. You should continue advancing the date past the point where the Pe goes inside Mars orbit and as you advance the date more the Pe will start to rise again and as it gets up to Mars, advance on hyper steps. I found that somewhere around 60266.5657 give or take it will show a very close encounter with Mars. A trick is to now have the Stage 3 "scale to view" set to "Target", for a nice close in view of the encounter.

Now grapple the fuel pod. You will have about 80 minutes or more to complete this before the burn is scheduled to be done. Hope that's enough time for you. :thumbup:

I have no advice on grappling the pod or how to not suffocate during the 7 year journey to Mars. Gasp. which is what happened to me:compbash2: