Question Creating new vessel using Lua?

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He, His, Him or You, Your, Yours
Is it possible to create a new Orbiter vessel using a Lua MFD (even if it is hacky)? I am asking this because:
1. I cannot create C++ DLLS for Orbiter (I don't know much C++, setting up a new compiler is much pain, trying to compile with a different compiler (gcc/g++) fails (errors are caused inside the Orbiter headers) + building for 32 bit instead of 64 bit causes even more compiler errors) so I would prefer anything that doesn't require building/compiling,
2. Orbiter seems to only provide functions to manipulate (vi:set_globalpos etc.) and delete (oapi.del_vessel) vessels, but none to create them and
3. (Warning: Spoiler!) I need this functionality to create an addon which will be revolutionary for Orbiter (there are already a few addons like this but they unfortunately seem to be outdated/broken)

Big parts of the addon are already finished (in Lua) and everything is now floundering on this one missing Lua function...

I am looking for Orbiter 2016 (160828) solutions (e.g. patching one of the Orbiter .dlls, but I cannot create one nor build the entire Orbiter becuse of point 1 above) rather than things like "OpenOrbiter" or other unofficial versions.

Last edited: