Flight Question XR2 Ravenstar - veers off runway on takeoff...

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Orbinauts,
I thought I'd try a flight from KSC to Mars in the XR2 yesterday, so loaded up the "Ready for take off to ISS" scenario...set up Trans X MFD...put some LOX and Main Fuel in the payload.....so ready for take off..
I throttled up, heard the call out V1...and then for some reason, the XR2 started to veer right and headed for the water!...I thought it would just keep going straight down the centre of the runway...until I heard "Rotate"...but as it took me into the water, damaged my landing gear, so had to abort.....any idea why this is happening?.....I'm wondering if it's to do with the extra payload, but I've never come across this before....any advice would be appreciated....thanks

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Have you accidentally split throttles?

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Phil...no, I usually use Ctl-+ to take off....I throttle up gradually.....it's OK for a while, but then as it speeds up, the vessel veers off...so I'm not sure why it's not keeping the runway heading....totally confused....

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
May I ask something that could sound ridiculous, but for what you describe could be possible:

Do you put in any input to keep the spacecraft on the runway centerline? As in, press 1 or 3 key on the numpad, or use the yaw control on the joystick, having checked that it´s properly configured in Orbiter?

Are APU and flight control surfaces turned on?
Could you perform a flight surface movement check on the external view and verify that everything is working?
Is atmospheric wind enabled? What version of Orbiter are you running?

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
@STS no, it doesn't sound ridiculous...I don't use a joystick, I always use keypad...and it usually starts to veer off probably just before the v1 callout...and yes, the APU and flight controls are definitely on.....the only difference I've found that this is happening is because I've filled the payload bay in all 3 bays....so I'm just wondering if the mass aspect has anything to do with it, as I've not come across this before....yes, the flaps and airlerons move when I use the keypad...not sure if atmosperic wind is enabled...is that in parameters?...and I'm using Orbiter 2016....

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Could you record a video clip of that behavour?

Reactions: STS

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
@STS no, it doesn't sound ridiculous...I don't use a joystick, I always use keypad...and it usually starts to veer off probably just before the v1 callout...and yes, the APU and flight controls are definitely on.....the only difference I've found that this is happening is because I've filled the payload bay in all 3 bays....so I'm just wondering if the mass aspect has anything to do with it, as I've not come across this before....yes, the flaps and airlerons move when I use the keypad...not sure if atmosperic wind is enabled...is that in parameters?...and I'm using Orbiter 2016....
Yeah, wind is under parameters. Try disabling it and see if the issue is reproduced. Does the same happen with for example a stock deltaglider?

Genesis

Chess Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi @STS I've disabled atmospheric wind...and that seems to have worked....the XR2 goes straight down the runway without steering off....so it is working fine now
Thank you for your advice and help, I really appreciate it....

Reactions: STS