Question XRSound play music in space

albieback

Reaction score
Orbiter is a piece of software that has been in my heart ever since. I've played it a lot, even though I've never passed through the stage of following the Go Play in Space tutorial or just messing around Earth's orbit.

Anyway, one of my dearest memories of it was when my Delta Glider went into space, I would switch the camera to outside and start hearing "Air on a G String" by Bach. The music got so intrinsically mixed with my orbiter memories! My love for both would affect each other, and the feeling of peace and calm in the space will always touch me.

Now, after some time - somewhere near 10 years - I have finally been able to reinstall Orbiter in my new computer. I got the new version, the DX9 graphics client, and even XRSound installed. Everything is fine, working well, but I cannot find the right place to configure the music.

I have the MP3 file for it, but where should I put it? Where and how do I configure the module to use my MP3 file instead of default music?

Thank you for helping this old man that couldn't keep up with the times, but still love Orbiter (and probably will always).

llarian

Reaction score
You can load DanSteph's OrbiterSound5.0 and run them both at the same time. You might want to include SoundBridge with them.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Now, after some time - somewhere near 10 years - I have finally been able to reinstall Orbiter in my new computer. I got the new version, the DX9 graphics client, and even XRSound installed. Everything is fine, working well, but I cannot find the right place to configure the music.

I have the MP3 file for it, but where should I put it? Where and how do I configure the module to use my MP3 file instead of default music?

There are two ways to do it. The easiest way is to just copy your MP3 file (or files, if you want multiple songs to play) into your $ORBITER_ROOT\XRSound\Default\Music folder and then delete or move the default Solar Serenity.ogg file out of that folder. That way, only your new MP3(s) will play in space.

The other way to do it is to edit your $ORBITER_ROOT\XRSound\XRSound.cfg file and change the MusicFolder path setting to point to where your new MP3 file(s) live:

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Global music settings.  Sound files in the specified music folder may be
# played back at random or sequentially.  Unlike other sounds and sound
# groups, music sounds play independently of any vessel, *except that*
# the active vessel determines whether the music keeps playing or
# is paused at any given instant.  See the MusicPlayInternal and
# MusicPlayExternal settings in the [SOUND_FILES] section later in
# this file for details.
#
# Sound ID = 10003
#
# A lossless version of 'Solar Serenity' by Grzegorz Lorens (Loru on Orbiter-Forum) is
# available at https://loru.bandcamp.com/track/solar-serenity
#
# Defaults:
#   MusicFolder = XRSound\Default\Music (which contains Solar Serenity.ogg). [none = disable music; e.g., MusicFolder = none]
#   MusicVolume = 1.0    [range is between 0 (muted) and 1.0 (max)]
#   MusicOrder = random  [may be sequential or random]
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
MusicFolder = XRSound\Default\Music
MusicVolume = 0.70
MusicOrder = random

The following sound file formats are supported:

● RIFF WAVE (*.wav)
● Ogg Vorbis (*.ogg)
● MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (*.mp3)
● Free Lossless Audio Codec (*.flac)
● Amiga Modules (*.mod)