XR5 UMmu hangs with >21 vessels?

Peskie

Reaction score
[I don't know if there is a thread I should be posting this on or if starting a new thread like this is okay.]

I was experiencing hangs while attempting to return an astronaut from EVA to the XR5. Some experimentation shows that this is reproducible when there are more than ~21 vessels in the scenario file.

I tried this on a clean Orbiter install with only OrbiterSound, UMmu, DGIV, and XR5 installed. (I installed DGIV since I wanted to test that it wasn't a basic UMmu issue). The only modules enabled via the launchpad where OrbiterSound and the scenario editor. Starting with the DGIV docked at ISS scenario I added 20 DGIVMTKSSATs (pick a more inoccous vessel if you like). I then tested EVA with the DGIV and it worked.

Then I added an XR5 and tried to EVA and re-enter the airlock; this hung Orbiter. Reloading the scenario (saved right before hitting 'E' to enter the airlock) and deleting most of the DGIVMTKSSATs allowed the UMmu to re-enter the airlock without hanging.

The XR series is great!! Assuming this is a real bug I'd love to see it fixed so I can do EVAs while building space stations and whatnot (where a 20 vessel limit really hurts).

Thanks!

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I tried this on a clean Orbiter install with only OrbiterSound, UMmu, DGIV, and XR5 installed. (I installed DGIV since I wanted to test that it wasn't a basic UMmu issue).

With all due respect, that is not a clean install (the DGIV is a third-party add-on). :) I have been testing here in a clean installation (only XR5, OrbiterSound, and UMMu installed) with 38 vessels (30 of which were DeltaGliders) included in the simulation and egress/ingress works just fine. Can you please re-run your test in a clean installation? If you still get a hang in a clean install, please post the scenario so I can test it here. Thanks.

Peskie

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

With all due respect, that is not a clean install (the DGIV is a third-party add-on). :)

Indeed; I wanted to make sure it wasn't a UMmu bug and since DGIV and UMmu are both written by Dan I figured it wouln't make much difference. Since it was only reproducible with the XR5 I jumped to conclusions.

I have been testing here in a clean installation (only XR5, OrbiterSound, and UMMu installed) with 38 vessels (30 of which were DeltaGliders) included in the simulation and egress/ingress works just fine. Can you please re-run your test in a clean installation? If you still get a hang in a clean install, please post the scenario so I can test it here. Thanks.

Well ... I retried with a brand new fresh install and there is one extra caveat it seems. There needs to be two UMmu vessels in the scenario. Once I was able to reproduce this I copied my orbiter directory and installed DGIV into the new copy and tried it with two DGIVs in place of the XR5s and I was able to replicate the problem.

So it appears this is a basic UMmu bug afterall (or something screwed with my setup) and I should go and report it on Dan's forums. If anyone is currous or wants to help me know I'm not imagining things here are two scenarios that replicate the problem on a base+OrbiterSound and one of XR5 or DGIV (I susspect any UMmu enabled ship will cause this).

Thanks again for the quick reply and a wonderful series or spacecraft!

Edit: The UMmu bug report on Dan's forums incase anyone is interested is here: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=13619&t=13619

Attachments

• EVA reentry hang XR5.scn
    13.8 KB · Views: 4
  • EVA reentry hang DGIV.scn
    10.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is a common UMMU problem with large numbers of vessels in the scenario.

It should be fixed in the next release.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There is a common UMMU problem with large numbers of vessels in the scenario.

It should be fixed in the next release.

Yes I'm seeing this as well. Any sort of time frame for a fix?