Idea Would you use this?: "Orbiter Storyline"

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been thinkng on what will be my next addon after I finish OSRM. I want to do something that will give some end for which to fly in Orbiter, maybe like a single player game storyline. I've been brainstorming some ideas, and this is the latest one. I just want to see how much support there would be for this kind of addon.

My idea is to create an addon that would make possible for users to create custom single player campaings in Orbiter, fairly easily. This is how it would work:

All you need to do is to trigger an event when some parameters are met, and change things in the simulation once the event is triggered. Having a series of events would permit you to define a whole storyline.

In a text file (an "event file") you would define which parameters need to be met in order to trigger the event, for example altitude, speed, orbital parameters, docking with a certain ship, fuel level, simulation time or MJD, landing on certain planet, entering field of influence, etc. Then you would define on the text file what would change when one or more of these parameters are met: display a text on screen, change position or orientation of a vessel, change fuel level, add a mesh somewhere in the simulation, change vessel focus, add or remove vessel from simulation, play a sound, etc. Then you would define on the file which other "event files" to activate next. This way once this event is met, the program moves to one or more other events, to follow a storyline of a single, or multiple, possible paths.

What do you guys think?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
in other words, you're trying to make a game out of orbiter, right? can add to the enjoyment, going around without rewards can be pretty boring some time, and of course, that can be used to make great tutorials.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea! The most enjoyable thing for me in Orbiter was and still is to follow the true STS/ISS missions with the help of the respective add-ons or to create own "storylines" (i.e. a sequence of missions). This add-on would def. help to enhance the experience by these sequences.

Good luck with that, you got my support! :)

EDIT: Just checked Orbithangar and obviously there is not yet a real scenario generator with lots of features. I think this would be a first step to implement your idea. So for the first one could just make a series of scenarios, using the scenario editor to add ships, bases, maybe random things like UCGO cars, asteroids or satelites....

Last edited:

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This kind of addon could open up some incredible new avenues where Orbiter has never been before !! I would love to see this addon !!!!

Dambuster

Reaction score
Nice idea. I always find that once you've reached your goal in Orbiter (landing on the Moon after a mission, for example) then it just feels a bit empty. This storyline would go a long way to fixing that. :thumbup:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So Artlav had tacked this idea! Awesome. From what I've read it's very powerful, but he stopped developing it because of lack of interest or something... I say we should show support for this project, maybe he'll revive it!
Or maybe you can mimic/continue the project. :thumbup:
It looks like there's a lot more interest now! :)
I guess the lack of interest in Artlav's project is shown pretty well by the fact that the first few posters had never even heard of it... I've seen this happen with other addons too. They become forgotten and then someone comes up with the same 'new' idea again ;) and for whatever reason, everyone is interested! :lol: I guess it's just timing.

I've tried Artlav's addon before, and it is pretty neat. The problem is, afaik no one ever made custom missions with it. I've only ever seen the ones that come with it. (which do show diversity in its abilities, but not as much as user-created missions would)

Last edited:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
All of this is very easy to accomplish with LUA scripting in Orbiter 2010.
There are even examples of exactly this in the release candidates. So I really think that developing something for the current version that becomes obsolete on tuesday is not the wisest thing to do.