Software Wine runs smoothly, then crashes after ~25 minutes

TheTorso

Reaction score
Good day, all. Hope everyone is doing well and that you are healthy. I posted this on Ubuntu forums under the Wine posts. But I haven't had any luck. If anybody is wise on this topic, I would greatly appreciate your help!

I've been using Orbiter for a number of years now. Now that Windows 7 is no longer supported, I'm ditching Microsoft altogether.

Current system configuration:
HP 15-dy1023dx laptop
15.6" diagonal HD SVA BrightView micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen (1366 x 768)
lspci output: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 8a56 (rev 07)
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Wine 3.0-1ubuntu1
No other wine applications in use, including PlayOnLinux

I've tried using both Windows 7 and 10Screenshot from 2020-03-15 12-23-31.jpg, with similar results.

Terminal output (after about 25 minutes of play)
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0xffffffff at address 0x12244f88 (thread 003d), starting debugger...

[1]+ Exit 5 wine orbiter.exe

The play is actually really good, until it simply stops. I attached screenshots of the moment of crash. I also saved the backtrace file, if that's useful. But I don't know how to interpret the data.

Again, hope everyone and their loved ones are safe.

Dan.

pionite

Reaction score
Are you using OrbiterSound or XRSound? I seem to remember that I used to have a similar probably with the former when switching to external view (music on). XRSound works well.

Also, you seem to be using orbiter.exe rather than orbiter_ng.exe + D3D9client. The latter works well for me under Wine, whereas orbiter.exe often crashes. (By the way, I'm using Fedora 31 and Wine 4.17.)