What's with this pocket-size skeleton?

Staiduk

Reaction score
OK; that just pegged my freak-o-meter at 9.5.
There's nothing in this story that doesn't tell me it's a total hoax; that skeleton does not correspond to anything Human. It doesn't even look real. It looks like a Ridley Scott prop.
Still; if experienced scientists are stumped I'll hold off denouncing it. They're smarter than me. But I'm not gonna buy it until some serious evidence is produced.

Last edited:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
"Doll made from real bones" seems the most likely explanation, but there are some pretty extreme medical oddities out there. It just seems like there'd be more examples of people that tiny.

FADEC

Reaction score
Certain people will believe this. Just as usual.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
" The Galaxy is on Orion's belt."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The article explains everything. But it's kinda strange the DNA test shows it to be of an 8-yr old!

Funny that you can use a DNA test to determine the age. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Something about telomere length or something like that.

Is not reliable and not used for forensics. The telomere length depends not only on age, but also health and cell type. There is even telomere shortening and telomere lengthening in human cells.

The idea, that telomeres have something to do with aging is compelling at first, but recent evidence suggests that its is not that important as initially thought. Mice can for example survive without any telomeres for 4 generations before negative effects manifest. It seems to be really important for data integrity in the DNA, but not for aging or cell death.

More important for a long age is the activity of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase, BTW. How much you have of this encyme in your cells determines how long you will live - more of it, longer average life-span.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or could that be the result of some mummification process ?

Jivaroan tribes (Peru, Ecuador) were known for [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head"]head shrinking[/ame] rituals...

Last edited:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
If someone buys me a 3D printer, a copy of the software that produces code from a Wings3D mesh to print it, I could knock a novelty skeleton just like that...

Imagine, you can have a replicated copy of this dude swinging around from your rearview mirror. :thumbup:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
OK; that just pegged my freak-o-meter at 9.5.
There's nothing in this story that doesn't tell me it's a total hoax; that skeleton does not correspond to anything Human. It doesn't even look real. It looks like a Ridley Scott prop.
Still; if experienced scientists are stumped I'll hold off denouncing it. They're smarter than me. But I'm not gonna buy it until some serious evidence is produced.

And then there is the real science analysis here:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/05/bizarre-6-inch-skeleton-shown-to.html?rss=1

To the chagrin of UFO hunters, Ata is decidedly of this world. After mapping more than 500 million reads to a reference human genome, equating to 17.7-fold coverage of the genome, Nolan concluded that Ata "is human, there's no doubt about it." Moreover, the specimen's B2 haplotype—a category of mitochondrial DNA—reveals that its mother was from the west coast of South America: Chile, that is.

Meanwhile, after examining x-rays, Lachman concluded that Aka's skeletal development, based on the density of the epiphyseal plates of the knees (growth plates at the end of long bones found only in children), surprisingly appears to be equivalent to that of a 6- to 8-year-old child. If that holds up, there are two possibilities, Nolan says. One, a long shot, is that Ata had a severe form of dwarfism, was actually born as a tiny human, and lived until that calendar age. To test that hypothesis, he will try to extract hemoglobin from the specimen's bone marrow and compare the relative amounts of fetal versus adult hemoglobin proteins. The second possibility is that Ata, the size of a 22-week-old fetus, suffered from a severe form of a rare rapid aging disease, progeria, and died in the womb or after premature birth.

Real science triumphs conspiracy theory everytime. A lot of the ufo nut jobs have taken some of the released information and twisted it. For example, the fact that 91% of the DNA is human means that the other 9% must be alien - right? No. Very wrong. 91% tested as human. 9% was discarded as degraded and machine read errors yet people are jumping on that to mean that it 'must be alien'.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Funny that you can use a DNA test to determine the age. :lol:

It seems funny because the OP didnt notice that bone structure was used to determine that particular interpretation, not DNA.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It seems funny because the OP didnt notice that bone structure was used to determine that particular interpretation, not DNA.

Exactly - but it is that kind of misunderstanding even simple aspects of a complex science, that produces hoaxes, UFO cults and lots of other annoying things.

Or simpler: You must not know how DNA looks and what telomers are. But you should know that your DNA does not change that much because of the years or will show repeatable detectable changes that permit telling your age. Your DNA is only the blue print of you - before you are completly changed by "Real Life Customs". It is not possible to tell your age.

Spend too much time under a solar bench, and your skin cells will have DNA errors and telomerase shortening, that you usually only see at the age of 60.

Also, if it could tell your age because of changes, the recent use of genetic finger prints to find murderers after 25 years would be pretty much impossible.

What comes next... claiming that rockets fly because they push against the air and can't work in the vacuum? Similar misunderstanding of simple aspects of a complex science.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I always thought of rockets as hurtling rather than flying :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I always thought of rockets as hurtling rather than flying :lol:

For some Frankenstein rockets, I would have claimed, that they are so ugly, that Earth is repelled by them. :lol: