Vinka's modules

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
January 2016 update
Vinka has recently uploaded his latest Spacecraft4.
See here:

www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36556
-----------------------

Hi all.
Yesterday I had way too many crashes just after installing the new "ASVI base - Capo Passero 1.0".
Orbiter wouldn't load, giving me the "Terminating after critical error. Check orbiter.log" screen.

Few moments later, I realized that I had never installed all those required Vinka's modules (multistage2 and 3, spacecraft2 and 3, stage_dll patch, etc...).

I still consider myself an OrbiNoob, and visiting Vinka's site I was a bit confused and overwhelmed with which package for which version I should download. I guess I'm not the only one.
Sure Vinka's site layout would need a little reorganization.

Couldn't someone in the know (many of you, in fact) upload to OH a one-size-fits-all "full" omni-comprehensive Vinka's package, for helping out us Noobs???

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An update would be even better...

Screamer

Reaction score
Hi all.
Yesterday I had way too many crashes just after installing the new "ASVI base - Capo Passero 1.0".
Orbiter wouldn't load, giving me the "Terminating after critical error. Check orbiter.log" screen.

Soon after I realized that I had never installed before all those Vinka's modules (multistage2 and 3, spacecraft2 and 3, stage_dll patch, etc...).

I still consider myself an OrbiNoob, and visiting Vinka's site I was a bit confused and overwhelmed with which package for which version I should download. I guess I'm not the only one.
Sure Vinka's site would need a little reorganizing.

Couldn't someone in the know (many of you, in fact) upload to OH a "full" omni-comprehensive Vinka's package, for helping out us Noobs???

:hailprobe:

Yes, I was also very confused about all that files to be downloaded for Orbiter 2010 P1. After some sweating and swearing, I managed to get it right. What helped me was my previous installation of Orbiter 2006 P1.
It is pretty much the same. The stage.dll patch for Orbiter 2010 P1 was what given me a hard time though.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...What helped me was my previous installation of Orbiter 2006 P1.
It is pretty much the same...
Good for you and for Orbiter veterans, but for noobs like me, and everybody else who just discovers Orbiter now (or even tomorrow), there's no "Orbiter 2006 P1".
So when (if) they stumble on Vinka's page, they stare at it and (maybe) try to sort it out themselves.

From another recent thread (started by Screamer) I understand that multistage is not needed, and BrianJ's "stage_dll_2010_P1" patch takes care of it, right? Wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can make a definitive list with links in this thread? I agree it will help new orbinauts in the future.

diogom

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Ok, thanks for clearing some doubts.

Do the standalone "stage.dll" contained in "Stage_2006-P1.zip" go in the modules subfolder (I guess)?

Then there is the "stage_dll_2010_P1.zip" which also contains a "modules\stage.dll" file, so why do we need the first one, which gets overwritten by this one?

Sorry if I'm sounding :censored: <------ imagine your preferred curse here.

diogom

Reaction score
Yes, the standalone goes there. The 2010-P1, as the name says, is a patch, wich is supposed to overwrite the original one because it only fixes some things, and is not a complete module. This, of course, I say without 100% certainty, as the original may not be required, but most patches are only small additions (see the P1 for O2010, in example) that require a base.

jimblah

Reaction score
I'm still confused about what gets installed.

Spacecraft3.dll
spacecraft3 full package (dll + examples) 060302 for Orbiter build 050216

Spacecraft3.dll patch for 2006-P1 (works with 2010/2010-P1)
Spacecraft3 patch

Multistage2.dll full package
multistage2 full package (dll + examples) 050721 for Orbiter build 050216

Stage patch for 2006-P1
Stage patch

Stage patch for 2010-P1 (fixes "missing meshes/no visuals")
Stage.dll for Orbiter 2010

For 2006-P1 or 2010-P1 all I need are the patches? The full packages are for just Orbiter build 050216? Or do I install the full packages and then the patches?

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For 2006-P1 or 2010-P1 all I need are the patches? The full packages are for just Orbiter build 050216? Or do I install the full packages and then the patches?
Install all of those in order, except the fourth one.

fort

Reaction score
At the end you should have:

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19719

All the .dll and .cfg ( it is not question here of the specific .dll dedicated to/coming with... an addon in particular )... that are necessary for the 2006P1 release of Orbiter ( Vinka; MaverickTech ).

aircraft.dll 48 Ko dated 15/03/2004
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=347"]AircraftDLL[/ame]
stage.dll 48 Ko dated 05/10/2006 ( for 2006 )
spacecraft.dll 92 Ko dated 30/12/2003
spacecraft2.dll 120Ko dated 06/07/2005
spacecraft3.dll 148Ko dated 12/10/2006
multistage.dll 120 Ko dated 09/01/2004
multistage2.dll 132Ko dated 06/07/2005

aircraft.cfg
ClassName = CDEAircraft
Module = Aircraft

stage.cfg
ClassName = stage
Module = stage

spacecraft.cfg
ClassName = Spacecraft
Module = Spacecraft

spacecraft2.cfg
ClassName = Spacecraft2
Module = Spacecraft2

spacecraft3.cfg
ClassName = Spacecraft3
Module = Spacecraft3

multistage.cfg
ClassName = Multistage
Module = Multistage

multistage2.cfg
ClassName = Multistage2
Module = Multistage2

EDIT ( 28/04/2011 )

Or and probably that stage dll made ( BrianJ ) for the 2010 release ( overwriting the previous )
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16167

stage.dll 56 ko dated 09/06/2010

Or that one made ( BrianJ ) for the 2010 P1 release ( that i suppose rétrocompatible with the 2010 release; overwriting the previous ):
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16800

stage.dll 56ko dated 09/09/2010

( Vinka released - 12/07/2010 - on the French forum, only for testing, betas of multistage2.dll and stage.dll ). There is no news about since.

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
I still need information

First I backed up my Orbiter 2010 (v101016) installation. Then I installed the following four packages in consecutive order. The patches I installed to the Modules directory. I started running the Vinka scenarios and textures were missing accompanied by CTD's. I've deleted the test installation directory and I'd like to give it another shot. I feel like I'm missing out on part of the Orbiter experience till I get this right. I certainly don't want to start developing addons until I do. What am I doing wrong? The last post contains a lot of information, but I'm having touble making sense of it. Please help.

Spacecraft3.dll
spacecraft3 full package (dll + examples) 060302 for Orbiter build 050216

Spacecraft3.dll patch for 2006-P1 (works with 2010/2010-P1)
Spacecraft3 patch

Multistage2.dll full package
multistage2 full package (dll + examples) 050721 for Orbiter build 050216

Stage patch for 2006-P1
Stage patch

Thanks in advance.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I've put together a .zip that contains all the modules and updates needed for O2010P1.
Would it be ok to post it here?

jimblah

Reaction score
That would be awesome but check first just to be sure.

I've put together a .zip that contains all the modules and updates needed for O2010P1.
Would it be ok to post it here?

You should have attachments enabled, and I'm almost sure a .zip file is supported. You can attach from the advanced editor if you look for the button. I watched one of Tex's tutorial to learn that one. You might have to ask the forum directly if it's ok to 'distibute' Vinka's modules in that manner. It may be different than posting a link.

Thank you for offering, please check...
:thumbup:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I also have put together such a package, currently hosted on my squadron's website for our ab/use.
I'll investigate if it's legitimate, and eventually post a link to it.

It contains all the files listed in post #6, plus the latest Spacecraft4, minus those listed in post #9.

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
Thank you Ripley for the Download.

I also have put together such a package, currently hosted on my squadron's website for our ab/use.
I'll investigate if it's legitimate, and eventually post a link to it.

It contains all the files listed in post #6 minus those listed in post #9.

I followed a hunch and checked your homepage. I can't read Italian, but I just looked for Vinka in the Download section to the left of the main body of text. I'll try it asap.

Once again, Thanks.
:thumbup:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Ok, since ripley has the file already in place I'll let him handle that. :)
I was actually going to post the file and had it already attached, but then I thought it would be better to ask if it would have been legitimate.

Iberville

Reaction score
I am having the same problems in installing Vinka's stuff. I followed the installation order posted on this page on my Orbiter installation and on a ''clean'' installation. On boths, Orbiter is crashing when I launch the Scenario of Vinka. For some reason it seems that it is mainly when launching one of Vinka's demo with the space shuttle. Does anyone know why and what I can do about it?

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Hi Iberville.
I think Vinka's scenarios included in spacecraft3_060302.zip and in multistage_050721.zip relate to an old version of Orbiter...I never tried them anyway.

Just unzip the "pack" (read Jimblah's post) and you're set.
Just use other, more recent, scenarios/ships.