General Question Video becomes choppy when using MAP mfd.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Using Orbiter 2016, whenever I have the MAP mfd displayed, my video becomes "choppy". For instance, if I'm orbiting the Earth, the usually smooth video will start to move in "ticks", advancing in short choppy steps instead of a smooth flow. I only see this when using the MAP mfd. I'm running Orbiter on a laptop, so this isn't a high-end setup. But why does this happen only with MAP mfd? Thanks.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What are the specs on your laptop?

MapMFD does have to do quite a bit more than say OrbitMFD.

If you switch it from "ground track" to "orbit plane" does it help?

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try this: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=bb528dcb-1b0f-48e8-8d7b-02c72e3bf489

The reason is that the fully zoomed out map is drawing almost 10 000 line segments into the MFD for every MFD refresh frame.
Either increase the MFD refresh step time (Orbiter launchpad -> Parameters -> Instruments and panels -> MFD refresh [sec]), or replace the map, using the link above. Or do both.
Or zoom in, so that you don't render the entire Earth, but just a portion of it instead.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Try lowering the MFD refresh rate: Launchpad >> Parameters >> Instruments and panels >> MFD Refresh [sec].
Change the number to 0.2sec.

EDIT: beaten to it by asbjos... must start replying right after opening the tab.