OHM Vector normalizer tool

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
If you have 2 points, it will calculate a vector and normalized vector. This tool could be useful for Orbiter developers, to calculate DIR and ROT vectors for attachment and docking ports, rotation vectors, etc, specially in combination with Mesh Wizard.

[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3429]More...[/ame]

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
As I move into complicated animation experiments, suddenly THE TOOL materializes on Orbit Hangar!

I'm really looking forward to putting this one to the test! Thanks Ar81.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another useful and time-saving utility - thanks! :)

Icarus at home

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-icarus-at-home.com
This is a great tool to work out the Vector directions used in animations. I use Anim8or to find two point and paste them into Vector Normalizer and it works great.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Simply brilliant!

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Let me get this straight... the normalized vector represents an axis of rotation between the two points?

This is going to be very useful!

Last edited:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Not exactly - a normalized vector has one axis that's 1 m. long. ar81's tool really is made to be used in conjunction with his Mesh Wizard. From his Mesh Wizard tutorial -

"When you need to state the DIR and ROT vectors for docking ports, attachment and grapple points, finding a ROT vector that is perpendicular to your DIR vector is not an easy task, if you are not familiar with vector math and if DIR vector is not along any of the XYZ axis.
On top of that, DIR and ROT vectors are normalized, so you need some extra work to do.
That's why this feature was implemented, so you can calculate your ROT vectors with no big effort"

"If you have a DIR vector and you have defined a preliminary ROT vector, both vectors will form a plane.
What the calculator will do is to find the ROT vector that is perpendicular to your DIR vector along that plane.
So basically it corrects your original preliminary ROT vector to find a perpendicular one."

I find the Rot Vector tool of Mesh Wizard in conjunction with Vector Normalizer to work pretty well, but it usually takes me 3 to 5 readings before I get it right. A nice feature of the Rot Vector Tool is after you get your 3 axis entered in, Mesh Wizard will draw a vector showing you where the rotation you've defined is.