VASIMR

Marcel

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Promising, yes. But like they said, they need a small nuclear reactor on the ship, and to get it up there, you'll need rockets, which means theres a possibility of exploding, which if that does happen, will spread nuclear material over a HUGE range

Marcel

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see the protesters now. How about the solar powered version? I really like the idea of a space tug. Something that can give us the ability to perform a mission like the Hubble repair. It could service satellites robotically or dock with Orion for complex stuff. I've been thinking about it as an add-on.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
*facepalm*

If they are going to give it a nuke-reactor, they'll build it in SPACE!

solar power doesn't give enough heat to create plasma as well.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
solar power doesn't give enough heat to create plasma as well.
You have clearly not understood the operating principles of the VASIMR. Its operation (in principle) has been largely proven on the ground at power levels of around 25 kW (IIRC) of electrical power. The demo version being talked about for the ISS is around 200 kW (IIRC the solar panels can supply around 100 kW, I guess the rest is to be made up from the batteries or the engine is throttled back). Anyway, solar power is more than sufficient.

Max Pain

Reaction score
Just a question:

Why is a nuclear reactor more dangerous to shoot into orbit than a thermonuclear battery like on the voyager probes?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just a question:

Why is a nuclear reactor more dangerous to shoot into orbit than a thermonuclear battery like on the voyager probes?

It's not... a RTG still has considerable amount of radioactive stuff in it and is equally as dangerous if something went wrong.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
*facepalm*
If they are going to give it a nuke-reactor, they'll build it in SPACE!
They still need to get the nuclear material up there.
I think we would need a combo of batteries, solar panels, and a SUPER small nuclear reactor

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
WHAT? this is NOT right... THIS IS*no sparta reference here*

but seriously, nukes in space freak me out.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
So there won't be any obstacles for this baby? Where can I book my flight to mars?:speakcool:
You can use paypal and send me 10,000,000 USD, or 15,000,000 for the maiden flight. I will then send you your ticket via air mail, and just present the ticket to NASA on July 16th, 2019 (50th anniversary of Apollo 11), board the ship, and be on your way to a 2 year stay at the new Mars Luxury resort!:rofl:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Specific impulse rises with with exhaust velocity. What makes VASIMR special is that you can increase thrust at the expense of specific impulse, which bridges the gap between low thrust - high Isp and high thrust - low Isp and gives hope that a similar system will one day be powerful enough to launch off a planet and then switch to efficient enough for fast interplanetary travel.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
VASIMR Full-Power, Full-Field Firing:

ooDSC01077.jpg

Ad Astra: "This image shows our achievement of full-power full-field for the 1st stage of VASIMR. In addition, here are some recent video posts documenting this achievement with our new superconducting magnet. The maximum magnetic field within the core of VASIMR is around 2 Tesla, about the same as most MRI machines."

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Official Ad Astra website:

www.adastrarocket.com/home1.html

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
VASIMR Full-Power, Full-Field Firing:
So, it's real?!
I always thought it was some academic research on something remotely possible, without anyone wanting to "waste money" on.