OHM Vandenberg Air Force Base v.2.5

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: kyle

(Note: This is not a update for the previous VandenbergAFB addon, this is an entire new addon for Orbiter 2010)

Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. 

To install, simply unpack the file and load it into Orbiter.

*Updated to include corrected runway.
*Updated to version 2 to include smooth the textures out with the default orbiter ocean.
*Updated to version 2.5 to include a fully smoothed out and more realistic texture.

To ensure version 2.5 doesn't clash with the previous version, I would recommend that if you have already installed this addon before this update that you delete the configuration file that is found in your Earth/Base subfolder for Vandenberg Air Force Base before you install this addon. There shouldn't be a problem with this if you don't but just to be absolutely sure I would.

No other addons are need, with the exception of the Delta IV addon for the scenario given found here: http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5556

DOWNLOAD

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My only complain is ocean tiles not smoothed out into default orbiter sea texture.

Other than that excellent. 5/5

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

23100739.jpg

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
My only complain is ocean tiles not smoothed out into default orbiter sea texture.

Other than that excellent. 5/5

Thanks! I'll be fixing that in bit.

Found an error with the runway, was slightly off - corrected now.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Updated to smooth out the textures with Vandenberg and the default ocean.

Still kind of rough, but it's an improvement. I recommend also using D3D9 with this for maximum enjoyment.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Updated to Version 2.5 to include a much more smooth and realistic looking surface texture with no clashing with the default orbiter ocean.

I'm considering to update to a future Version 3.0 to include meshes and textures for 3D mountains, but I might need help for that to happen.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Keep up the good work! VAFB and Plesetsk are the two most important real launch bases that still have large re-development potentials, and one of the two big projects I'm dreaming of is making all the pads, rockets and Earth-viewing payloads associated with the two bases. The base texture is definitely a start. :thumbup:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Feel free to use my base texture if you're going to add launch sites for the Atlas, Falcon, Delta IV and Delta II! Vandenberg AFB is certainly one of the least developed major launch sites there is.

Also, I don't mind if anyone edits this addon to a better liking and uploads to OH, I'd like there to be a larger scale effort to upgrade Vandenberg AFB to be able to be used with Atlas rockets, Delta Rockets and SpaceX rockets, as long as I'm credited I really don't have a single problem with it!

Last edited:

fatcat

Reaction score
Orbiter 2016

This looks spectacular. Would this work in 2016?
If not, is there much to make it so? Not asking for this to be done, just interested in the process. Thanks Orbinauts. How great is this program and community!

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried it and was the Delta there but no base and then a CTD in 2016.

I have slc 6 for the shuttle for 2016 and there is one for SSU.

The biggest issue of adding a 2010 base to 2016 is terrain. 2010 was flat, 2016 not so much. So I had to raise the pads so the ground wouldn't be an issued. I know you can flatten but not had luck doing it.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I've been able to get the textures imported to Orbiter 2016, I was just waiting on Fred18's terrain flattening tool to evolve a bit, that way SLC-4E, 4W, et cetera can be flattened to support VAFB launches.

Attachments

• 0058.jpg
    0058.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 33

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Fred's tool which works good but only in d3d9