Project Updated SLS for Orbiter 2016 (and 2010)

Longjap

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After getting into the wonderful add-on Multistage2015 by Fred18

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=35845

I decided to update his SLS inside the package. From one thing came the next and suddenly I have now the whole family of planned rockets with newest speculated specs in orbiter. :hailprobe:

I've used and updated some meshes (the EUS and ICPS) from other add-ons like the cool SLS beta from gattispilot:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=35211&page=2

and it will need francisdrake's great Orion MPCV.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=34839

I'd like to share it with you guys but this will be my first add-on and am a bit illiterate at making an add-on. If anyone could give me some help in compiling it it would be appreciated. It will use Multistage2015 as a base and to me it seems I just have to gather all the files in corresponding folders and make it into a zip file. If I use unique names for the meshes and textures no other add-ons will be harmed I think. So you need to install Multistage2015, Orion MPCV first and then install my add-on right?

Also if anyone of the previous mentioned projects have problems with me using some of the meshes please let me know. Of course I'll give you full credit for it. Maybe we can combine forces also to make an even better updated SLS. :)

I will wait till Fred18 has released the final MS2015 for 2016 to OH.
Here are some pics:
0kREsPX.png

RaCDB1K.jpg

qzhRwHX.jpg

:cheers:

Edit:
I will add a test zip with the 1a to check if I'm doing things right and so you can check out and report any bugs or if you think the specs of the rocket are off.

Required add-ons:

- Multistage2015 for 2016 by Fred18.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=37611

- Orion MPCV of Francisdrake. See above.

For the SLS tower.

- SLS beta by gattispilot. The tower works in 2016, just don't try to lower the tower it will result in a tumbling mammoth.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=35211

Also needed for night launches is spotlight 2 by BrianJ.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21862

After all this extract my zip into your orbiter install.

10-16-2016 Update:

You need spacecraft4 to make use of the cubesats:
http://francophone.dansteph.com/?pag...nguage=english

- ICECUBE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_IceCube
- NEA_SCOUT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEA_Scout

After Orion separation with ICPS change vessel back to SLS and press "J" to release the cubesats.

Both have animations and only RCS thrust.

SHIFT 1: ON/OFF ;basically turns on lights at the back.
SHIFT 2: SOLAR_DEPLOY ;First stage of solar panel deployment
SHIFT 3: SOLAR_DEPLOY2;Second stage of solar panel deployment. Please wait till first animation is finished.
SHIFT 4: ANTENNAS; Antenna deployment
SHIFT 5: SEND_DATA; Turn on another light that's flickering like your router.
SHIFT 6: SOLAR_SAIL; Only for NEA scout.

Update 11-3-2016

SLS Beta 0.3

Mostly fine-tuned in the fx and visuals department.

- Added more realistic mach effect.
- Tweaked the exhaust and contrails of the SRB's for better feel of power.
- Animated SSME exhaust flame fx for stage 1!
- Falling ice particles on take off.
- Added the Block 1b with Explorer Upper Stage and scenario with a 100 MT deadweight LEO insertion. Add your own payload for deep space exploration.
- Revamped EUS of gattispilot.
- Added a download for Orbiter 2010 specifically.

Download beta 0.3 for Orbiter 2016: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji23814r0imd7r5/SLS_2016_BETA_0.3.zip?dl=0

Download beta 0.3 for Orbiter 2010: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzo7x1ns5lz78fs/SLS_2016_BETA_0.3 - For 2010.zip?dl=0

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This is absolutely fantastic. You should have no problems compiling the addon if you're using MS2015.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Downloading it now! I'll let you know of any suggestions I have tomorrow afternoon.

EDIT: Trying things out really quickly the first thing I notice is the Orion MPCV scenarios seem to CTD. Could be related to the MPCV? Also, these meshes are absolutely stunning. I'll post a more thorough test tomorrow.

Last edited:

Longjap

Reaction score
EDIT: Trying things out really quickly the first thing I notice is the Orion MPCV scenarios seem to CTD. Could be related to the MPCV? Also, these meshes are absolutely stunning. I'll post a more thorough test tomorrow.

Yeah I've messed some things up in the scenario's and .ini's. Try removing the RAMP line in the SLS multistage vessel and the vessel entry "empty module launchpad" iirc from the scenario file of the Orions. This might do the trick. I'll update the zip tonight when I have some time.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Here's an accurate ICPS for your SLS that you can use. All the dimensions are accurate as well as the details:
Awesome! Thanks DaveS. I'll check it out tonight.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I need to redo the beta SLS with the new ICPS. Let me know

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Yeah I've messed some things up in the scenario's and .ini's. Try removing the RAMP line in the SLS multistage vessel and the vessel entry "empty module launchpad" iirc from the scenario file of the Orions. This might do the trick. I'll update the zip tonight when I have some time.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Awesome! Thanks DaveS. I'll check it out tonight.

Yup! That did the trick. Just flew the SLS EM-1 scenario, here's what I noticed:

1) SLS is launching from the wrong pad. SLS will use LC39B. SpaceX currently uses LC39A.
2) The mach trails that form around the SRB and ET are angled the wrong way.
3) The fairings appear to jettison on the wrong axis.

But everything else looks great!! Visually speaking this looks amazing.

Attachments

• 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 114

Longjap

Reaction score
Yup! That did the trick. Just flew the SLS EM-1 scenario, here's what I noticed:

1) SLS is launching from the wrong pad. SLS will use LC39B. SpaceX currently uses LC39A.
2) The mach trails that form around the SRB and ET are angled the wrong way.
3) The fairings appear to jettison on the wrong axis.

But everything else looks great!! Visually speaking this looks amazing.

Nice! It seems I didn't have time to update the zip yet yesterday. I have worked on the new ICPS by DaveS a bit though. I'm learning along the way because the .dds provided with the ICPS got a new layout for me and I was wondering what the hell it did. :) So I got a bit into UV mapping, downloaded blender, and only to add a US flag to the barrel of the ICPS was quite a quest. It's still clunky but it's on there. :lol:

Thanks for your findings. I will move the launchpad to the correct location. I was struggling with the fairings and couldn't find the right axis to jettison. If you can help me find the right way in Multistage2015 would be helpful!

If I need to redo the beta SLS with the new ICPS. Let me know

I've added the orion adapter from your ICPS to the new one. Also small extended rings at the bottom to resemble the renderings and to line up with the tank adapter.

View attachment SLS_ICPS_2.zip

jqjG5gA.jpg

I can now texture spheres. :thumbup:
p9odWUc.jpg

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok. I got my SLStower to attach on Fred18's crawler. The one thing I am working on it an attachment system that will move the crawler up the hill to the Launchpad.

But There is a launch tower there already.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score

If Orbiter 2016 is like Orbiter 2010, you can create a new solar system with a different earth that has the default towers edited out of the meshes list for the base.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK. It looks like it is. I guess I will see if I can get the crawler up the hill. We can deal with the original tower later

Longjap

Reaction score
Ok. I got my SLStower to attach on Fred18's crawler. The one thing I am working on it an attachment system that will move the crawler up the hill to the Launchpad.

Cool! I can make a scenario for the whole rocket to launch position operation. What boogabooga said might be a good idea. I can also make a new sol system to tweak canaveral base with correct launch tower and remove the shuttle ones. In your case another one with no launch tower so you can move it by crawler into position. You can check the canaveral.cfg in config>earth>base.

These are the lines of the launchpads:
Code:
MESH ; Pad 39B
	FILE KLC39B
	POS -4759.2 0 3001
	ROT 0
	SHADOW
	OWNMATERIAL
	PRELOAD
END
MESH ; Pad 39B ground textures
	FILE KLC39Bground
	POS -4759.2 0 3001
	ROT 0
	UNDERSHADOWS
	OWNMATERIAL
	PRELOAD
END
MESH ; Pad 39A
	FILE KLC39B
	POS -2659 0 4635
	ROT 0
	SHADOW
	OWNMATERIAL
	PRELOAD
END
MESH ; Pad 39A ground textures
	FILE KLC39Bground
	POS -2659 0 4635
	ROT 0
	UNDERSHADOWS
	OWNMATERIAL
	PRELOAD
END

You can remove them if you wish. Make sure you have a backup though.

What are the procedures IRL? I'm curious. Isn't the tower already there when the rocket is moved from the hangar? So the launchpad with rocket is moved? If so, we need to have a tower mesh with no launchpad cause it is brought there by the crawler including the rocket. But I'm not sure about how it works.

Almost done with the updated mesh of the core stage and boosters after doing some work this weekend. Ran into some problems with the shading though. I find it hard to calculate the normals in the correct position. :)
I've bisected the main cylinder and it freaks out the normals. Whatever I do to recalculate them it's not doing as I wish. Pretty tedious. Is there a way to angle the normals of faces manually in blender?

A little update:
0kREsPX.png

sbej8sO.png

VkSrTC9.png

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am not sure. I was wondering that. Once I get the tower to work on the crawler. You will be able to move the crawler and tower to the launchpad. I guess then the crawler leaves the tower up there?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not sure. I was wondering that. Once I get the tower to work on the crawler. You will be able to move the crawler and tower to the launchpad. I guess then the crawler leaves the tower up there?

Yes. To play captain obvious there: The crawler has no hole for the rocket engine exhaust. Yet.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is correct. The Crawler is just a transporter. It sets down the ML on the six Mount Mechanisms at the pad and then moves out from beneath the ML back to the old Apollo/Saturn Mobile Service Structure (MSS) park site where the Crawlerway splits to 39A and 39B: https://www.google.se/maps/@28.5951618,-80.6201359,206m/data=!3m1!1e3

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Ok. So If I get the crawler and tower to work. The once it gets on the top of the pad. The tower will display the legs and the crawler will move away. So 2 sets of Touchdown point 1 on ground 2 on top of pad

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score