Update Guide for Orbiter BETA

twodogzz

Reaction score
I am attempting to use the BETA version exclusively, however I can't find a definitive guide (a sticky post or blog) that explains what must be changed to ensure the program will work.

Perhaps we need one list with each update that is maintained by a blog owner or forum administrator or other nominated person.
The list can contain the Update version and a list of required files for the core to work.

Other add-on developers can then submit their work as "updated" for that version. The "administrator" can then add that to the list of add ons

We can then modify our individual systems to ensure we have a stable platform to work with.

If such a thing already exists, please direct me to it.:facepalm:

Thanks for the great work so far.
Wayne :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I'm not sure I understand your request.
There's nothing that "should be changed" for Orbiter to run, not that I'm aware of.

Maybe it's better you tell us what sort of problems you are experiencing with Orbiter Beta?

Welcome to OF, btw.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Welcome to Orbiter Forum twodogzz!
To my knowledge, the software requirements for Orbiter Beta are the same as in Orbiter 2010.

You can find information about Orbiter Beta at:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36139

In that thread, martins (the creator of Orbiter) publishes changes for each Beta uploaded.

Currently Orbiter Beta is uploaded to a SVN, system that allows post new changes in the beta version easily, and we can download from there, making sure we have the latest updates, to test the beta and help to polish Orbiter.

To get the beta, point your SVN client to
Code:
svn://orbiter-forum.com/orbiter
Is recommended using TortoiseSVN, it's very simple.

To post bug reports to help the project, do not forget to read this:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36348

I hope you serve, greetings.
:cheers:

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Orbiter Beta is .. just that.
No mods are guaranteed to work on it as it's in 'a permanent state of flux'.
Once the developer is happy with beta.. it'll go 'mainstream' and then the mod makers will adjust their mods to work on that release.

Otherwise you have the links from the previous posts.

Velkom !!!
:thumbup:

twodogzz

Reaction score
Thank you all for you suggestions and information.
I'd like to support this project by providing reports of issues (bugs) that effect the BETA's usability.

To do this, I need to consider the relative state / version of add-ons I'm using with the current BETA version.
This allows me to determine if there's an inter-operational issue with the core and an add-on.
If I know which add-ons are reported as working with the core then I shouldn't have to consider that one as causing the particular problem I'm experiencing.

I'm not sure I understand your request.
There's nothing that "should be changed" for Orbiter to run, not that I'm aware of.

Maybe it's better you tell us what sort of problems you are experiencing with Orbiter Beta?

Welcome to OF, btw.

Hi Ripley, as Col_Klonk says, the BETA is in 'a permanent state of flux' and I can only accept that some things will work and some won't.
However, the add-on developers also submit their work to indicate it is compatible with the latest version of the BETA.

It would be nice to know which add-ons are reported as working with the current beta core version!

However, I will post my issues as you suggest, but still think a definitive list of what doesn't or does work would be useful in the development stages.

Orbiter Beta is .. just that.
No mods are guaranteed to work on it as it's in 'a permanent state of flux'.
Once the developer is happy with beta.. it'll go 'mainstream' and then the mod makers will adjust their mods to work on that release.

Otherwise you have the links from the previous posts.

Velkom !!!
:thumbup:

Thanks Col_Klonk, I understand the process with Martins developing the core. My concern is with the add-ons and video client and not being able to easily know if they are compatible with the latest beta version.

Hi you have video on yt were david from forum here explained nice what you have to do to install and start using beta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwANJ_ZlWAs

I appreciate the information sitha241. However, I have successfully downloaded and "installed" the Orbiter Beta. I think I just have compatibility issues with add-ons and the dx9 / dx11 video clients. Also, it's difficult to know which core scenarios and vehicles are working.

Welcome to Orbiter Forum twodogzz!
To my knowledge, the software requirements for Orbiter Beta are the same as in Orbiter 2010.

You can find information about Orbiter Beta at:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36139

In that thread, martins (the creator of Orbiter) publishes changes for each Beta uploaded.

Currently Orbiter Beta is uploaded to a SVN, system that allows post new changes in the beta version easily, and we can download from there, making sure we have the latest updates, to test the beta and help to polish Orbiter.

Is recommended using TortoiseSVN, it's very simple.

To post bug reports to help the project, do not forget to read this:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36348

I hope you serve, greetings.
:cheers:

Thanks Matias Saibene, I have TortoiseSVN installed and use it as per the instructions in the thread you quote. As you say, it's easy to use and I don't have an issue / problem with that function.
I update my beta a couple of times a week.

Cheers,
Wayne

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But, in order to be the most efficient in reporting bugs from the latest beta, you need to keep clear of any addons installed in Orbiter BETA.
And then, so far, there are very few addons that work with Orbiter 2015 as of today (I'm not even sure if Orbiter Sound works). There is a special D3D9 client built against the latest beta of Orbiter; and only works with the beta. Please read the D3D9 Development thread to find the latest version.

You can try and install some addons to see if they're working or not, but you may want to use something that allows for non-destructive install-uninstall of addons, so that you can always quickly revert back to the original state.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
But, in order to be the most efficient in reporting bugs from the latest beta, you need to keep clear of any addons installed in Orbiter BETA.
Unless you want to report your findings in this thread.