Project UFO - Sport Model

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
To UFO fans this should be familiar as being similar to the "sport model" type that was allegedly worked on by a certain infamous "physicist" at Area 51/S4.

Model includes no animated parts, no special effects, no VC...;) Since its so simple i might take a crack at getting it into orbiter using spacecraft3 though i did discuss with doug some time ago about making a more complex UFO simulator for Orbiter... Perhaps using ol' Marvin/J-Rod that some of you might already already aquainted with... He really needs his own ride.;)

Attachments

• UFO_sportmodel_01.jpg
    UFO_sportmodel_01.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Greyalien.jpg
    Greyalien.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 67

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
You need to equip it with an Alcubierre drive.
It creates a bubble around the craft, so all aerodynamic flow takes place out of the bubble and gravity also would be nullified.
It uses no propulsion since all movement is caused by blending and stretching space.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Sure, program me an Alcubierre drive and we're good to go...

How this thing is actually supposed to work Based on Lazars heavily disputed and probably fictional descriptions, is that it uses 3 "gravity amplifiers" that hang down from the mid level of the saucer... It has 2 modes of flight, iirc, called omicron and theta, omicron uses one amplifier pointed down to repel a gravity field and the 2 others to make a distortion that the ship then 'rolls' into - so you essentially point the emitters where you want to go and the ship will be drawn to that point. This is how they fly within a gravity field. in space travel its meant to fly 'bottom first' (theta) with all three emitters pointed 'down' making a large distortion 'underneath' which is essentially warp / alcubierre drive - travelling inside your own distortion eliminating relativity effects. Obviously quite different to the usual method in orbiter of throwing propellant out of the back of the ship to make it move forward.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hey! Why do you use earthling greek letters??
Shouldn't you use Klingon alphabet instead?

See tlhIngan pIqaD (Klingon alphabet)
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/klingon.htm

DaH mojaq-mey-vam DI-vuS-nIS-be' 'e' vI-Har

As far as it is my concern I prefer to use the old alien mystical language of my home planet

Yunaris Ataka Outra Sylene

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Coolhand,

I don't care what makes it go, it just looks cool! :hotcool:

Very nicely modeled and this is one instance where realistic physics and drive don't amount to squat!

Put it out there...I'll fly it!!!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Hey! Why do you use earthling greek letters??
Shouldn't you use Klingon alphabet instead?

Well thats the earthling name for them, from project gallileo that Lazar worked on. Go and look him up, i know you've had your own experience and you'll probably find it interesting even though he's been largely discredited by most Ufologists since the late 80's.

-----Posted Added-----

Coolhand,

I don't care what makes it go, it just looks cool! :hotcool:

Very nicely modeled and this is one instance where realistic physics and drive don't amount to squat!

Put it out there...I'll fly it!!!

Thanks... I modelled and textured it in just a couple of hours.. Maybe i'll make a fleet of em, perhaps an adamski type or a triangle... though nothings cooler than the sports model.;)

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Cool, I'm glad to see this one show up in orbiter. with no animations it is a good craft for your venture into C++. Rename a couple of parameters and you'll be off and flying ;)

Are you going to put a VC into it? And of course...will it be ummu compatable? J/K

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Coolhand, you suck! You're just too good at that!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I hope the controls in the sport model are foolproof.
Last time I saw marvin he crossed the runway without looking first if there was a ship approaching.
Suffice to say, ensign haito had to clean the windshield afterwards.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
So? There's any number of 'flying saucers' (and possibly some hats) that bear a slight similarity to the sports model.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Will this come repleat with plenty of blinking lights? It ain't a real saucer without them! ;)

Your modelling skills are of a very high standard btw, the XR2 is a gorgeous showcase. Grats and keep it up.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Certain family members of mine (can't say who, what with MiB and all ;) ) say they saw one of these things buzz their car in the late 50s. They'll get a kick out of seeing this. Thanks coolhand!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Only a priveliged few will see a 'Sport model';) The ones I saw were spherical as far as i could tell, but that would be a pretty boring ship.

-----Posted Added-----

Will this come repleat with plenty of blinking lights? It ain't a real saucer without them! ;)

Yeah but where would you put them? Its a real clean design... it should in earths atmosphere perhaps have a blue or a yellow glow - some kind of ionisation effect... could be achieved in a way similar to how you'd simulate hull heating.

Your modelling skills are of a very high standard btw, the XR2 is a gorgeous showcase. Grats and keep it up.

Thanks!

-----Posted Added-----

Certain family members of mine (can't say who, what with MiB and all ;) ) say they saw one of these things buzz their car in the late 50s. They'll get a kick out of seeing this. Thanks coolhand!

wow, really? thats a cool story... did they experience missing time? Like it was suddenly later than they'd realised?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Not much to tell really, summertime maybe 1999 or 2000, not sure now... it's the middle of the day near some shops by my parents house. My buddy looks up, quite at random and sees 4 flying spheres moving in a tight circle high up. He points out their location to me and by the time i'd found them one had flown away, the remaining 3 completed one more circle and each one broke away on a heading roughly 90 degrees to each previous one, one after the other by performing a zero radius turn - so just a rapid change in heading, classic ufo type of manuver

They were solid enough that i thought they were metallic coloured balloons at first but I don't see how balloons would break off like that and move at that type of speed. We spent a while trying to think of an explanation, couldn't come up with anything that fitted and just put it down to something that we'll probably never know the answer to.

*Edit* They looked an awful lot like this