Advanced Question Tranquillity Base His Res

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I installed the moon hi res package for 2016 but I don't have enough detail to simulate the Apollo 11 landing. Would it be possible for me to create a higher res for the Tranquility area?

Thanks

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A little more detail might be available, but after all "Tranquility Base" was chosen because it is mainly featureless...

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have a landing scenario working with AMSO/2010. It would be nice if it had surface elevation so when you land in a crater, you tilt.

Marijn

Reaction score
There is a download called MicroTextures. It contains textures for the moon and Mars especially for the base area to make it look better. I think you can easily adjust to to cover your area.

I can't find it in Orbiter Hanger now. Maybe I downloaded it from somewhere else. Can't remember, but I can give you a download link if you're interested.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'd be interested in working on something like this. Microtextures are okay, but you can't fly over West Crater or experience what Armstrong might have felt. I did find this from NASA's LRO imagery, pretty large sized textures of the Apollo 11 site. Anyone have any idea how I might begin to lay this over the Apollo 11 site on the Moon?

Attachments

• TranquilityBaseCE-2000x1200.jpg
    TranquilityBaseCE-2000x1200.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 32

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
"Simple", just create a plane mesh with the right dimensions and add it to the surface base as an object with WRAPTOSURFACE.
Yet, it won't work well so you have to raise your plane about a meter. Here's a quick test with NAASP:
3e1b621280953044.png

Of course, like this the LEM is sunk... and some terrain still sticks out.
It's another one of those things that should work but it doesn't :facepalm:

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Yea, that's what I thought at first could work and I tried doing that with the same results you're getting. There'd need to be a way to put the textures onto the lunar surface with the elevation map. I looked at using Tileedit for this, but to be quite frank, I simply just don't get how to use it.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Same here. I got nowhere with the tile tools.

WRAPTOSURFACE should work. As far as I can tell it doesn't because of clipping and Z-index issues. I guess those could be fixed on the graphic client, don't know.

(PS - forum is very unstable, had to login 4 times to be able to reply...)