Installation Toubleshooting 2GB RAM/2x1200Mhz

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hello Folks,

I installed a minimal orbiter 2016 installation on a little netbook.
2010 P1 I works fine on it.
But 2016 make some trouble.

https://pastebin.com/ee0SqDXv

You should use the T&L graphics device. Forcing the transform and lighting calculations to be performed in software creates a huge bottleneck that will kill the frame rate.

Apart from that, can you define "some trouble"? It's not clear from the log file what goes wrong. Do inline (D3D7) graphics and D3D9 client show the same problems?

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
Hello Mr. Schweiger,

I am using now the T&L graphics device. But didn't change anything.

Trouble means: It does not compleete loading orbiter.
The Windows reports: "Program don't work anymore, cause of some problem.
Program will be closed and you will be informed if there is a solution available."
OK, I found this D3D7 client. But the problem is still the same.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Trouble means: It does not compleete loading orbiter.
The Windows reports: "Program don't work anymore, cause of some problem.
Program will be closed and you will be informed if there is a solution available."
Is that all you get, or does the error message contain any more detail that might help narrowing down the problem?
OK, I found this D3D7 client. But the problem is still the same.
Just to clarify: the D3D7 client is the one you get automatically when you run orbiter.exe. The D3D9 client is a separate module you download, and which is used in combination with orbiter_ng.exe. The D3D9 client often works better with more recent graphics hardware.

Finally, the 2GB RAM could be a problem. Did you check if the memory usage is maxing out when running Orbiter (e.g. with TaskManager or a similar resource monitor)? Memory might be even tighter if the graphics chip can reserve some of the main RAM. For testing, you could try to reduce Orbiter memory allocation by reducing the max resolution level (under the Visual effects tab) to a very small value (say 5), or by launching a scenario that starts very far away from all planetary bodies.

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
OK,
I reinstalled D3D9, and turned off everything possible, with a 800x600px window, using the AMSO Apollo 11 Step 9 scenario (Course correction #2 mid space), max. resolution level 5.
>>> ERROR: DDraw error DDERR_BLTFASTCANTCLIP
[OrbiterGraphics::clbkBlt | .\OGraphics.cpp | 1633]
The Task-Manager tells me, that there are just about 650Mb left on the RAM to run OSS.
Seems that's not enough!
And yes, 1/4 of the 2Gb are occupied by the graphic-device. 1,4Gb left. 55% occupied by Win8.1.
- Nooo, I dont blame you Mr. Schweiger. I blame Mr. Gates!
I suggest somebody should write somewhere: "System requirement at least 4Gb RAM"
And perhaps I should finally buy a new laptop! :facepalm:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
650MB is not a lot, but might still be enough to launch a minimal orbiter configuration, at least for testing purposes. Did you try reducing the resolution level to 5 with the same result?

You should also disable all modules in the Modules tab (except the D3D9 client).

For testing, don't use an AMSO scenario, but a simple single stock vessel scenario.

The DDERR_BLTFASTCANTCLIP error can probably be ignored for now. It shouldn't be the cause of the crash.

Did you check how much memory Orbiter itself is allocating just before it crashes? Some 3rd party tools can also monitor video memory usage, in case that is the limiting factor.

Finally, you could try running orbiter_ng.exe without loading the D3D9 client. That will only give you a command line interface if it works, but at least it will tell you if the problem is graphics/memory related, or if there is something more fundamental amiss.

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
Yes, the resolution level was down to 5.
All modules disabled.
I reinstall Net Framework 3.5 now, cause 2010P1 reportet some problem with it, while I tried to create some "holy-space-probe-behind-kuiper.scn"
And then I will check it with the Orbiter_ng.exe.
It is difficult to check the RAM-usage of orbiter right the moment befor the crash. It is loading for about 5sec. and then it crash.
And my 3rd-party-task-manager consumes to much RAM to run.

But honestly, it makes not much sence to launch a minimal orbiter configuration, except for testing it out.
I want go to the moon, and do the other things...!

At the moment I try with a running 2010P1 to figure out where the edge of the RAM is! -I keep you informed.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I have done the installation again. Now it does a bit more.
At least I get some more Errors!

Warning: Config not present in /Modules/server/ Please create folder
https://pastebin.com/10aKxjY8

But this page is simplifie chinese to me: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#download

For over 6 years I had nothing to do with Orbiter. And if I try to install all this things, the programs tell me that .dll's are missing.
I dont want to mess my new Windows Installation up now.

Can anybody guide me throu this?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Sorry, you lost me a bit. The only error messages I can see in the log files are about source surfaces being NULL. This could either point to a faulty addon installation (missing texture files) or to memory problems (texture load fails due to memory allocation errors). Where is the warning about the missing config coming from? Did you click the "Create symbolic links" button in the D3D9 client advanced setup?

And why the link shell extension? I can't believe that you need to install a 3rd party windows extension just to create symbolic links, which surely is a core OS function. The mklink command works on all my windows machines, and I can't remember ever having to install an addon for it.

Also, which dlls are reported as missing?

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
Allright, finally I found that "missing-link-button", in the D3D9 client advanced setup, cause page 2 of the D3D9-manual sayed it's at video.
And why the link shell extension? I can't believe that you need to install a 3rd party windows extension just to create symbolic links, which surely is a core OS function.
- Well, I found this page from this austrian guy, wich makes me more confused.
Just press this button!

Good. Now it is loading for about 30sec. and this warning is gone. But, it still don't work, cause windows reports: "Program don't work anymore, cause of some problem. Program will be closed and you will be informed if there is a solution available." (I wish windows really could do that!)

Orbiter log sayes: D3D9: ERROR: D3D9Client::clbkBlt() Source surface is NULL

I guess I need some spacecraft3.dll, from some guy in sibiria, wich makes himself immortalized, by programming that .dll? - Vinka was his name. Right? Or, spacecraft4.dll, spacecraft5.dll?
This little things "you need to know" doesn't make it easier for newbies, and reentries as well, to install ... and fly away!

https://pastebin.com/TfY52uyu - Actually no .dlls are missing!

Wich .dlls do I need?
What is vesselhooking.Dll ???

Last edited:

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
You mean I should not put the folder on the desktop?
Own partition or how...?
I installed some favorit addons yesterday, MFDs.
But i can't find spacecreft3.dll to download.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
If you are already in the process of installing addons and spacecraft3, then I am assuming that you have got the basic Orbiter installation running now. Which means I can bow out of this thread.

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
No, nothing is running!
I am glad for the help, but there I haven't found spacecraft3.dll, and the other MFDs I installed didn,t make it run either. I am still working on it.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
You mean I should not put the folder on the desktop?
Own partition or how...?
I'd go for a subfolder like c:\games\orbiter

I installed some favorit addons yesterday, MFDs. But i can't find spacecreft3.dll to download.
What about plain vanilla Orbiter, without installing anything else?
Does it run? Have you already tried that?

You can find Vinka's goodies here:
https://www.tuttovola.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=956

I dont want to mess my new Windows Installation up now.
Is this a new Windows10 install?

Last edited:

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
OK, I copy the folder on C:
No, It is a new Win 8.1 installation.
What is a "plain vanilla Orbiter"?

I installed:
Orbiter2016.zip, 2.5GB
D3D9ClientR3.10-forOrbiter2016(r1162).zip
XRSound for Orbiter 2016
and a few of the highest ratet MFDs
Thats it.

I persume I have to use "VinkaSpacecraft4Pack"?

Plain vanilla is an adjective describing the simplest version of something, without any optional extras, basic or ordinary.[1] In analogy with the common ice cream flavour vanilla, which became widely and cheaply available with the development of artificial vanillin flavour.[2] Certain financial instruments, such as put options or call options, are often described as plain vanilla options. The opposite of plain vanilla options are exotic options.
-Aha

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Please do it one step after the other:
1. Install Orbiter2016.zip @ your Desktop or @ C:\Orbiter
1.b. Check if that runs! (Orbiter.exe). If not, you might need to install the runtimes (Install\vcredist_x86.exe)
2. Install D3D9Client
2.b. Check if that runs! (Orbiter_ng.exe; activate D3D9Client under Modules;...). If not, you might need to install the DirectX 9 redistributables (read Doc\D3D9Client.pdf on where to find it)
etc.pp.

Important is: Check every time! So you (and we) can see at what step things go south!

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
Thank you Kuddel!
It is working. :thumbup: At least Solar System.scn is running, as far as I tried.
Let's carry on at etc.pp. to build a "Plain-Vanilla-Orbiter".
Next step 3. should be to install Orbiter sound.

I have no idea what went wrong the first time? Perhaps DirectX or Net. 4?
Biggest problem was to find the "advanced" button.

@ Kuddel: You should write a simple tutorial that way, 1., 1a, 2...10
Only one page. It was realy helpfull.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you Kuddel!
It is working. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

I have no idea what went wrong the first time? Perhaps DirectX or Net. 4?
.NET is very unlikely, as Orbiter -and most of the addons- are native (a.k.a. unmanaged) code.

Biggest problem was to find the "advanced" button.

@ Kuddel: You should write a simple tutorial that way, 1., 1a, 2...10
Only one page. It was realy helpfull.
Yes, maybe I should. But where would you have searched for that?

And I can't decide whether to include the D3D9Client & OrbiterSound setup as well.
Most users will benefit from D3D9Client, but for the sound, there is at least one alternative...and writing all the possible alternatives quickly makes the document cluttered again :shrug:

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
OK, I installed HiRes from the Minor Bodys for testing, and it works.
Lets see if Mars and Moon will work too? For now I have no reports of errors.

...and writing all the possible alternatives quickly makes the document cluttered again...
Thats not what I mean. "All the possible alternatives" are confusing beginners.

Try to put onself in the possition of a newby. They want to get quicky directet to have a working Orbiter Simulator. Step by step. They don't know the differences of the 2 sound engines.

3. So take the most favorit Sound.

Furthermore they want to fly something they know: Shuttle, Apollo, Soujuz, Mercury, Gemini, ISS, Mir...

4. So they should find add-ons and get instructet to fly every real-life-spacecraft of their choice.

5. Then give instructions to .dlls and MFDs they should install to have the most necessary utilities to run

6. Downloading of earth, moon, mars and installation.

A list of about 20 add-ons, installed one by one, working on most computers, for most beginning users.

And please carry on on point 3., cause I still need guidence for this installation. I just copied this working folder, and do installations by try and error.

- And btw. I need a Saturn V rocket for Orbiter 2016. AMSO don't work anymore.

---------- Post added 10-12-19 at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-11-19 at 09:19 PM ----------

Any suggestions what kind of vessels I could install?
AMSO ans NASSP don't work on 2016. That where actually my favorit add-ons.
I prefer real-life-spacecrafts to cross the solar system. Saturn V was allways good to reach other planets. :hailprobe:

Last edited:

Hermann Oberth

Reaction score
Just to show that OSS2016 with D3D9 is working on a small old netbook. The framerate is even above 50fps.
picture.php