Tutorial totally bewildered by IMFD 5 and AMSO?

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was. Forced to change GET, Rad, Long, Lat and enter numbers seemingly at random just because someone told me to. No idea when, or how, to make MCCs with IMFD 5. So tried previous versions and couldn't get a decent solution. Does this sound familiar?

There are several tutorials out there, and included with IMFD, but I couldn't get a handle on any of them, really. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I know from other posts that I am not on my own. So after much blood, sweat, and tears I have found my own way to get AMSO into lunar orbit and still have enough fuel to get home - and all by only changing two variables in IMFD 5.

Coming soon...the idiot's guide to IMFD 5 in AMSO...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also have some problems getting used to the latest version, but is mostly lack of following the manual.

EliNaut

Reaction score
Heh only MCCs i've ever made with IMFD were either on interplanetary voyages on the long streatch where you have to just click the AB every few days(+), either that or just using it as a replacement Orbit MFD as a guideline.

I'm nearly in the same boat as you, clive. Some things, I just don't quite understand in IMFD.

Tommy

Reaction score
I've found the IMFD manual to be very good at explaining what IMFD does, and rather incomplete at explaining how to use it if you don't have a very thorough understanding on the orbital mechanics involved.

The main variables for setting up a free return trajectory are the TEj (time of ejection) and Rad (offset).

To set the TEJ, it may help if the TOF (total flight time) is locked, and adjust the TEj to get the lowest dV.

Rad variable lets you set the offset, how much you are "leading" the moon so you pass in front of it, and can be slung around in the "figure 8" free return trajectory. For Earth - Moon trips, start with a value of 8M (note the capital M) and adjust as needed to get your desired Moon PeA (usually around 100k). Your final value there can often be as low as 5M, or as high as 10M, the 8M number is just a good starting value.

You will often need to go back and forth between those variables several times to fine tune the course.

Having a second IMFD, set to shared with the first, and displaying the Map program helps, it's more accurate. If you hit the <MOD> button (in Map program) a few times you'll get to a configuration page and can increase Map's accuracy. Be advised, Map will update rather slowly in higher accuracy settings and can take a few seconds to update.