Advanced Question Titan Elevation

Jango Fett

Reaction score
yes I've installed those but do they actually work for elevation mapping on Titan cuz for me it's flat

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
yes I've installed those but do they actually work for elevation mapping on Titan cuz for me it's flat
Looking at the elevation data, it is mostly flat, because the data isn't that detailed (just compare the size of its Elev.tree file to, say, Mars).
Looking at it, the area with the most detail (and it still looks pretty flat) in near the poles (probably because Cassini flew closer to them than to the equator).

BTW: there is something wrong when rendering the lights/shadows in Titan in MOGE (looks OK in D3D9). I remember there was some talk about it, but I don't remember if it was fixed in Orbiter Beta.

Jango Fett

Reaction score
that's unfortunate well I finally have my answer it does not exist

Jango Fett

Reaction score
If i was to replace the micro textures in the 3D9 which one would I edit for the normal map to look like legos? : for a brother who likes legos, actually the waves in lego normal map looks kinda cool!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
that's unfortunate well I finally have my answer it does not exist

Yeah, you'll find that for many bodies in the solar system, not only is there little to no terrain data available in Orbiter, but there is little to no terrain data known to man for Orbiter terrain to be created from.

Jango Fett

Reaction score
If i was to replace the micro textures in the 3D9 which one would I edit for the normal map to look like legos? : for a brother who likes legos, actually the waves in lego normal map looks kinda cool!

yes I'm serious about this ?

Last edited:

NonHumanOnboard

Reaction score
If you're handy with Orbiter texture tools, you could extract the heightmap, increase the level between height differences and pixelate it, in order to achieve a blocky surface. You may also run a noise function to spice things up a little.