Project Tile Maker - (yet) another easy tile making tool

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been working lately on an app that let's you create Orbiter-ready tiles from a large satellite picture. You open your picture, enter the top-left and bottom-right coordinates and the app computes the tiles to be generated, with a text output letting you to easily integrate the tiles to your base. I'm into implementing nConvert for easy conversion into DDS files.

actual_screen.jpg

I got a problem here, aside of verifying if my calculations are right.
My question is: How can I calculate the best level to be based on the length of a 512px tile? And how can I get the lat/lon coordinates to place the said tile on?

Thanks for answering! :tiphat:

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks paddy2!

But while this is extremely helpful, there is several issues I'm encountering, because I don't know the tile level, and I don't know the X/Y coordinates of the tiles, just the real coordinates of the image (which I can easily find the Top-Left/Bottom-Right coordinates for each tile), and the horizontal/vertical span of the image.

Engineering in process ... :stirpot:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Each tile has a fixed width, so for a given top right co-ord you could work out the bottom left for each level and so work out the correct / best fit level. Don't get me wrong there is still a good deal of sums to do but it is do-able.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh, but I'm wondering if a level has a predefined width/height or if it depends on the circumference of the planet.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The width does change as the longitude alters. As such most tiles have a real difference, top and bottom in fact

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the Orb post in your thread made me think of that. I'll have to rework it to be more UI friendly too, because now it is just "Kablamo, have a sh*tload of informations here and there!"

In fact there is much more calculations and dark mathemagic than I thought there was. But this ain't a big deal to me! :lol:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some quick news here:
Now, when loading an image, Tile Maker will look for a "*.gps" file with same filename that contains the GPS coordinates of the image. Easier for me to debug, and maybe useful to you ;)
Also, you can now open an image with Tile Maker. It will load it on start. (or "TileMaker..exe %1" for a command line).

There's still problems with the conversion to tiles, see the dev thread for that.
Happy orbiting, and maybe soon you will be able to add cool, detailed imagery for your favorite base ! :)