AMSO Thurst problem landing the LM on the moon

AP105

Reaction score
Hi,

Was wondering if it was possible to reduce the decent engine thrust when trying to land on the moon? The autopilot seems to be able to do this but flying manual (pressing 'enter') just gives 0 and 100%. Consequently end up using fuel quickly and cannot fine tune the decent speed - especially near the surface where 100% thrust makes the LM uncontrollable!

Any pointers or advice would be very welcome!

Cheers!

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Well hats off for attempting to land the LM manually. I have come close but havent been able too,,,, yet.

The "0" and "." on the number pad control your Hover engine thrust. "0" to increase, "." to decrease.

Good Luck!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
It took me about 20-30 tries to do the LM landing manually in the designated landing areas. The main trouble I was having was running out of fuel <100m from surface :rolleyes: and having the emergency launch engage

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
It took me about 20-30 tries to do the LM landing manually in the designated landing areas. The main trouble I was having was running out of fuel <100m from surface and having the emergency launch engage

Boy does that ring true! It took me about 15 tries myself. I was in a full mission scenario, but my orbit was too eccentric for the descent autopilot to work. Since then I've done a couple more manual landings and each time it's 10-12 minutes of pure anxiety, but well, well worth it when landed. My main problem is getting too slow too fast. I keep telling myself it's ok to be moving at 700mps at 50-60 kilometers from the landing site. I still end up way high at pitchover, though.
Ran out of descent fuel at 25 meters once.:facepalm: Many curse words were uttered that day.:)

:hail::probe:

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I ran out so many times I posted this to the demotivators thread

attachment.php

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
"Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades" I like that! I'll have to use that one on the kids at work.

Seriously though, I really thought I was pretty good at landing on airless bodies (the moon). I used to spend hours on the weekend doing sub-orbital hops back and forth from Brighton Beach to Heinlein, or Heinlein to Niven Base, using one of Greg Burch's utility landers. Then I tried AMSO, and the LM, with VERY limited fuel, and I realized I wasn't quite as good as I'd thought.:) When I finally DID succeed in landing manually, I kept visualizing of my Hadley landing site littered with the descent stages from all my previous attempts.:lol:

P.S. Welcome to the forum, AP105!

:hail::probe:

Last edited: