Thinking of taking up model rocketry

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Also don't be tempted to go for the C and larger rockets initially unless you know how high they'll really go and you have the space. A and B sized rockets are still fun, too!

oops :)

One other time I made myself a rocket hull. I used PVC tubing for the lowest few inches so I could glue 2 C rocket engines inside. I also added cardboard fins about 20*angled so it will spin as it goes up so it doesn't leave the flight path. Above the PVC joint I used a glue and a o-ring to fasten the styrofoam top (for weight issues) that contains 3 small parachutes connected to the PVC. I added some fire-resistance cloth to help protect the parachutes and a break away cap for the parachutes deployment.

I used this program; winroc To calculate how high it would go. It accurately predicted it would go about 100 feet.

I launched it with a few of my friends at a pit thats a few miles out of town. When I launched it, it took off relatively slowly and flew fair. Then when the second engines where ignited, It kinda tilted from a too long delay of the first engine and started shooting south (I think, off path anyway) and when the second engine stopped it (I think) melted the glue or o-ring joint and lit the parachutes on fire. The parachutes where flame resistant so they didn't really burn so much, but smolder. In any rate they didn't deploy. It came burning down to the ground. The only thing left was the PVC and some half burnt parachutes.:lol: