Thinking of taking up model rocketry

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
It looks like a lot of fun. I was in the local model shop, and they had a few cool ones, but my favorites were the Spaceship1 and the Mercury Redstone. I'm googling for more "Realistic" model rockets like that.

joshb

Reaction score
If you're just getting started, just get a basic Skill 1 or 2 kit that you like to start with. You'll learn a lot while putting it together and also while flying it. Work your way up to the harder and more realistic kits so that you gather experience.

Nothing would be worse than putting 100 hours into a super-realistic Redstone rocket (for example) just to have it become a lawn dart because you overlooked some detail like properly reinforcing or packing the parachute. :(

Also don't be tempted to go for the C and larger rockets initially unless you know how high they'll really go and you have the space. A and B sized rockets are still fun, too!

Good luck!

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
i need to get some small kits to mess around with some more

Torgo

Reaction score
I grew up making model rockets, taught by my dad and my uncle.

One of my favorite summers was working with them on building the Estes Saturn V that I had gotten from them for my birthday.

It took most of 8 weekends to get together, but then when it was time to fly it, it was simply awesome.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Be sure and look around for local rocketry clubs in your area - they'll have access to larger fields, ground-support equipment, and a wonderful knowledge-base to draw advice and ideas from.

EJ316

Reaction score
It all looks really cool but I wouldn't trust my self. I'd probably end up blowing something (possibly me) to bits and/or propelling my rocket into someone's house. Need a lot of space.

Star explorer

Reaction score
It looks like a lot of fun. I was in the local model shop, and they had a few cool ones, but my favorites were the Spaceship1 and the Mercury Redstone. I'm googling for more "Realistic" model rockets like that.

they still have the mercury redstone i thought they discontinued it. luckily i got one i havent built yet im going to wait for a day in a big field very little trees and not much wind then im going to launch that baby.

anywase try to get some low skill level rockets first. oh exept for the redstone get that before someone else buys it no matter the skill level.

Rocket fun, ok heres what you do get a cheap rock some big firecrackers and recreate a rocket explosion. need some more specific details ok well ill tell you first take your cheap rocket and put the highest power engines it can take in it the get big firecrackers or any fire work that explodes. make sure there big BUT not too heavy so the engines can lift off the rocket. next tape the firecrackers NEXT TO THE BOTTOM not directly under the bottom after that take the firecracker fuses and put THEM directly under the bottom tape them their if you have too. now when you press the launch button it will ignite the fuses and they should explode in mid air. and thats how to recreate a rocket explosion and yes ive done this before and its fun.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It all looks really cool but I wouldn't trust my self. I'd probably end up blowing something (possibly me) to bits and/or propelling my rocket into someone's house. Need a lot of space.

When I was younger I was a counselor at a scout summer camp and I ran a program that, in part, involved building a model rocket. Just doing that alone, I've launched and been witness to the launch of hundreds of model rockets. I can safely say, even with the shoddy construction that the average 12 year old will use, no one ever died on my watch. They're really not that bad. :)

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Estes rockets came onto the market when I was a kid -- that's how long they've been around. It was a post-Sputnik craze in those days. My older brother and I built and flew dozens and dozens of them. Some of my fondest memories of childhood involve flying those rockets ...

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Believe it or not, Estes rockets came onto the market when I was a kid -- that's how long they've been around. It was a post-Sputnik craze in those days. My older brother and I built and flew dozens and dozens of them. Some of my fondest memories of childhood involve flying those rockets ...

I started out with Estes and Centuri model rockets. They were with me all through my 'formative' years. :)

The past four years, though, I've been designing my own.

-----Posted Added-----

The ones Estes makes are really not all THAT bad. If you ask nice, you may even be allowed to launch them in a public park, or an empty soccer field.

It's an addictive hobby, though... and you'll soon find yourself going bigger, faster, and higher.

(I know of a club where 10,000-foot, Mach-busting fliers are the norm... :speakcool:)

Star explorer

Reaction score
um offtopic but am i on the right forum it seems everything changed.

on topic sorta: another one of my fun rocket ideas. gat an soldier figure or lego or something tape him on the rocket and well you know the rest. PS: you could also put the lego guy or what ever next to a fire cracker.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
on topic sorta: another one of my fun rocket ideas. gat an soldier figure or lego or something tape him on the rocket and well you know the rest. PS: you could also put the lego guy or what ever next to a fire cracker.

BAD IDEA!!! For one thing - taping a figure to the outside of a rocket SEVERELY hampers its' flight characteristics. You'll end up with it either doing a nosedive into the ground, or chasing you until the motor burns out. Totally unsafe either way.

The firecracker thing is just plain silly - can you say 'shrapnel'? ;)

Things like that may *sound* cool... but they're really just ways to get yourself and others hurt.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Totally agreed. If you're going to strap things to the outside of a rocket (outboard motors, camera pod, etc), you had better darn well know how it's going to affect air flow before you light the proverbial candle...

OF course, I'm coming from a high-powered background, so perhaps that biases my view some. :)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Have fun! Just remember to not use Hydrogen (Horrible mistake on my part, refer to my post on the subject.)

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I remember the first time I launched my Phoenix missile. It was windy on the bluffs and when she launched she went straight into the wind, 20 feet off the ground and horizontal. It was assume, looked just like a guided missile launch. As it headed out over the edge of the bluff, I started to panic, that is where all the radio controlled sail planes were. No collisions, but I was not liked much that day by the R/C pilots. :(

Star explorer

Reaction score
ok better idea theres a rocket by Estes called nova payload rocket (i have it) under the nose cone it has a payload space to put stuff in a lego figure would be perfect. and it wont interfear with the air flow exept for the weight of the rocket and the rocket comes with a paper that recomends the maximum weight to put in it.

fire cracker idea if you havent read i did it before and the only shrapmetal will be card board and dont worry about the fins wont really blow into peices also saftey tips dont do it over resedential areas. also this hasent happend to me but keep a little farther than usual from the rocket in case the flame activates the firecracker itself and not the fuse. put a fire cracker on each side so the air flow wont be that much ereguler.

i remember when i launched my x 15 rocket it went high over a me the started to fly like a well plane and landed in a the wind sheild of a parked car no one was in the car and i escaped with my rocket

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Using a Nova Payloader is a much better idea. I'm still not liking the idea of putting a firecracker in with it. Even if the shrapnel is only plastic from the Lego figure, it's not a good plan to have potentially flaming debris dropping from altitude. Even if nobody is hurt, it damages the reputation of the hobby in general.

Star explorer

Reaction score
the firecracker idea is better without the lego i have to admit so dont tape a lego next the firecracker i was wrong i never taped a lego next to a firecracker on a rocket before BUT i still did launch rockets with firecrackers taped ont them without the lego. i just thought the lego would be funny but now that you think of it its not worth the risk. but still the firecracker idea without the lego = fun. just take the precautions also i forgot to mention when i launched them it was them heading over a lake so the shrapmetel would land in water and not cause a fire. one more thing last thing i promise DONT AND I REPEAT DO NOT EVER LAUNCH THE FIRECRACKER IDEA ON A WINDI DAY.

Tachyon

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Until you're of age (I think it's 18 or 21) stay with the estes type toy model rockets. Once you get past the taping army men to the side or simply blowing them up stage (pun intended) and want to do it seriously, check out www.tripoli.org they are the governing body for the "real" model rocket "hobby".