Discussion The Ultimate Chinese Space Discussion Thread!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all. With the importance of China rising in the spaceflight and space exploration frontiers, I am offering this thread for discussion on China's plans on the final frontier...:)

Stay tuned for news and more information on China's spaceflight program!

Staff note: For mission specific news, please use mission specific threads in the Space Flight News forum.

Last edited:

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
Yay, I'm a fan of Chinese space.

Perhaps I can get a better idea of whats going on than before when using google translate all the time.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I cant wait until they send their first human to the moon in 2075(50 years after everyone else):rofl:

China is super slow i dont expect anything good from them within the next 100 years...

They are building a space station but they are doing it 50 years behind everyone else...

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Staff note: For mission specific news, please use mission specific threads in the Space Flight News forum. Otherwise, I look forward to a discussion of China's future spaceflight plans :)

Chub777

Reaction score
I cant wait until they send their first human to the moon in 2075(50 years after everyone else):rofl:

China is super slow i dont expect anything good from them within the next 100 years...

Well, they're already building a space station...

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Galactic Penguin, can you, please, write down and translate the phrases used during countdown at Chinese launches that get aired on TV? It's really useful to know when to begin clutching into my chair's arms! (I have got used to do that when I hear "TEN - NINE - IGNITION SEQUENCE STARTED - SEVEN..." ;) )

Last edited:

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score

They are building a space station but they are doing it 50 years behind everyone else...

Seriously mate. The only reason the USSR and the USA put humans in space was because of the Cold War.

Look at your closest ally, the UK. We have done nothing in terms of space.

The People's Republic are taking it at a pace that suits them, they don't care too much for ignorant Sinophobic persons like yourself.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

And also. the USSR's Salyut 1 was launched in 1971.

The PRC's Tiangong 1 is of similar size and will be launched just over 40 years since the launch of Salyut 1.

By 2020 they should have their first Mir-sized modular Space Station in orbit. And they also have a very good indigenous spacecraft at their disposal. It is far in advance of any of the USSR's or the USA's first capsules. Definitely.

And as I say. Europe have yet to put a man in space with their own equipment.

Does that make us super slow? No.

Last edited:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Not all americans are like that, just saying. I like developments in Chinese Space Programs. I'm just hoping they will want to look more at the scientific side of things instead of militaristic applications in space.

diogom

Reaction score
Well, they have a first spacecraft like this because they "borrowed" the Soyuz's blueprints. In the time of the first American and Soviet capsules, there was nothing for them to use as a base.
But yeah, I agree with the rest.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
But thats a good thing. They should be using the Soyuz design. Its the best capsule design you can use.

Tiangong 1 is set to be launching soon, I wonder how long after it launches we will see Shenzhou 8 go up?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Americans.....

Seriously mate. The only reason the USSR and the USA put humans in space was because of the Cold War.

Look at your closest ally, the UK. We have done nothing in terms of space.

The People's Republic are taking it at a pace that suits them, they don't care too much for ignorant Sinophobic Americans.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

And also. the USSR's Salyut 1 was launched in 1971.

The PRC's Tiangong 1 is of similar size and will be launched just over 40 years since the launch of Salyut 1.

By 2020 they should have their first Mir-sized modular Space Station in orbit. And they also have a very good indigenous spacecraft at their disposal. It is far in advance of any of the USSR's or the USA's first capsules. Definitely.

And as I say. Europe have yet to put a man in space with their own equipment.

Does that make us super slow? No.

Actually in terms of solo development it does as far as manned space flight is concerned. Oh and your previous "ignorant sinophobic americans"statement is one of the most ignorant and generalized terms i've heard in a while.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have worded it differently. I will go and edit the post.

I'm not generalising Americans as a whole (Although upon second reading it sounds as if I am), but there are a few Americans who have such an ill-educated and down right ignorant attitude towards the PRC. I was a little fired up after the previous comments.

I apologise.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

Europe is not slow in terms of manned Spaceflight. We have never really started pursuing it in the first place. We have never really needed to have our own capability to do so. And China did not either in the 60's.

So to say we (Europe) or they (China) are slow because they did not pursue manned Spaceflight when the USA and USSR began to do so is complete rubbish.

Last edited:

Chub777

Reaction score
I'm impressed by the Chinese. They're already building a space station!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm impressed by the Chinese. They're already building a space station!

To nitpick on this, the "station" that the Chinese will launch later this year (named Tiangong-1, or Heaven Palace-1) is the prototype of the station supply craft (i.e. the Chinese ATV/HTV), which doubles as a docking target for manned/unmanned spacecrafts and as a prototype space lab. When they successfully tested rendezvous and docking skills and how to run a small station for the duration of weeks, they will launch a monoblock station (in the flavor of the early Soviet stations) and set up expeditions to there. By then they will start to build a 60 (metric) tonne station and finish it by 2020 or so. (To put things into respective, Mir weighted 100 tonnes at the end)

Chub777

Reaction score
So Tiangong-1 is just like an Agena target vehicle? (it's also a coincidence that the acronym is ATV)