Programming Question The Search for Delphi 6

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Hey all,

The short version is: Does anyone know where to find a copy of the "Personal Edition" of Delphi 6, or anything else that could be used, legally, to manipulate and compile a project that is written in Delphi 6?

The reason I ask is, in short, because I'm trying to get back into Orbiter, as you do. But I'm having some issues with FBW, and I feel that I may be able to improve on Redburne's work, if only to slightly tweak the project for my own needs. After all, isn't that what Open Source is all about?

The main issue I'm having is with, however, what should (arguably) be the easiest step: Finding something that I can manipulate and compile the FBW code with. It's written in Delphi 6, which was released way back in 2001, and as typically occurs the developers of the language have moved on from that version. In the past, of course, they have released free, personal versions of their IDE/Compiler, much like Microsoft's Visual Studio free version thingy. However, if my understanding is correct, this has recently been ceased, due to the ability to hack the Personal Edition to give it the same features of the paid versions. Hence, as best I can see, Delphi has become something you must pay for the privilege to code in, and will probably die completley within the next five years, as these things do.

And there is the problem. By the removal of the Personal Edition, it seems impossible to me to find a way to manipulate FBW to do my will, for free, legally.

Is there a way for Delphi 6 code to be manipulated, for free, legally? Can Embarcadeo's terrible, terrible business practices be fixed? Is it apparent that I know nothing about how Delphi works? Will BP succeed in cleaning up their terrible, terrible mess?

We may never know the answers to these questions. In the meantime, any help you can give would be much appreciated.

J.