Request The Expanse

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I have rough 3D models of the Rocci and Knight sitting on my hard drive but I'm working on updating my Apollo Project to the new beta.

Loving that show. But moderately annoyed that they seem to have "stolen" a bunch of Ideas I was going to use for my own setting. (Damn Space Mormons)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saw episode 8 yesterday, things are going to get reeeeally haywire during the next 2 to 3 episodes. No idea how the hard-scifi crowd is going to take what's about to hit... :shifty:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I haven't read Leviathan Wakes, It's on my "to-read" list but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

That said, I do know the general outline of the plot and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Finale plays out. The show is awesome and is doing a lot to scratch my lived-in future sci-fi itch.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saw episode 10 now, and... no zombie appocalypse on Eros? That might actually have been a good decision! :lol:

thirteen28

Reaction score
Oh I'd love to see the Canterbury ... and for that matter, the Donnager (which the series never showed in full).

Great series. Great books too, I'm on the the 3rd one now, Abaddon's Gate, and have read three of the novellas as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Call me a necroposter, but is there anybody still alive and interested in this very Orbiter-compatible universe? :tumbleweed:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Two years ago I did a coarse model of the 'Scipio Africanus', which had a short appearance in season 1. The data available on vessels of The Expanse were scarse, often only a screenshot from one side, and no performance values, so I did not pursue on that.

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Season 2 should go up on Netflix today, so you bet... :lol:

Exactly that was the reason why I had to ask... a recommendation of the series... one good reason for me to consider getting Netflix eventually. But the article also recommended the novels as well.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Two years ago I did a coarse model of the 'Scipio Africanus', which had a short appearance in season 1. The data available on vessels of The Expanse were scarse, often only a screenshot from one side, and no performance values, so I did not pursue on that.

Well, it looks like they are using thrust for producing artificial gravity like in the Battletech universe, so maybe this is a good starting point for getting some performance estimates?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Warships like the Rocinante and the Donnager are, at full throttle, capable of accelerations in excess of 15Gs along the primary thrust vector, and at least high fractions of a G under RCS power. Civilian ships are significantly less powerful, but can still haul along at up to 3-5G straightline.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I highly recommend this show. It has what I love and lacks what I hate, and I say that as both an Orbinaut and a fan of well-written, well-made movies and TV shows.

It's kind of like Firefly in terms of characters you actually care about, but with good hard sci fi and a touch of the darkness of Battlestar Galactica. Can't wait for the next season.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
After reading the first pages of the "Leviathan awakens" novel, I am pretty confident, there is more detail around about the spaceflight in the "Expanse universe". Of course, the novels are likely different than the series and I would not be surprised, if the spacecraft differ in like they are described in the novel and actually shown in Netflix.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Of course, the novels are likely different than the series and I would not be surprised, if the spacecraft differ in like they are described in the novel and actually shown in Netflix.

I've read them, and they're sticking 1:1 with the books for the science (not quite so much with the characters, though not too bad). Discounting that one screwup in the second season where the scientific advisor didn't realise what was happening until a very expensive scene was already in post production, but they even publically apologized for that.

In any case, when asked about the nature of the epstein-drive, the authors replied with a smirk that "it runs on efficiency".Here's a video by Scott Manley in which he takes a closer look at the thing, going from the example of epsteins ill-fated first flight that is described in both the show and the first book.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After reading the first pages of the "Leviathan awakens" novel, I am pretty confident, there is more detail around about the spaceflight in the "Expanse universe". Of course, the novels are likely different than the series and I would not be surprised, if the spacecraft differ in like they are described in the novel and actually shown in Netflix.

I usually try to avoid books for shows/movies like the Expanse until after I've seen the show, so as to not set myself up for disappointment over differences.

Or so I justify my laziness when it comes to reading, anyway...

I did read The Martian after the film. I might have to pick up The Expanse later, too.

One of my coworkers reads them all so talking to him about any such TV show or film is impossible.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I usually try to avoid books for shows/movies like the Expanse until after I've seen the show, so as to not set myself up for disappointment over differences.

I usually do it the opposite way... because my imagination is way better than any UHD stream can ever get. :lol:

Yes, it can get disappointing... but in case of LOTR, it was surprisingly good. In case of the hobbit...where did the book go?

Even the Discworld movies had been pretty good regarding the rather complex material.

Loopos

Procrastination Master
Reaction score
Tried making an MCRN Corvette Class using Vessel Builder and it turned out pretty alright 👌
Screenshot (72).pngScreenshot (74).pngScreenshot (75).pngScreenshot (76).pngScreenshot (77).pngScreenshot (76).png
I based the fuel efficiency and fuel load primarily from the Expanse wiki (which based the calculations on the show) and the ship is surprisingly efficient that you can go to Jupiter and back under constant thrust (at roughly 3-5%) around 3 times.

Only problem is that (as far as I know) there aren't any programs in the MFD that are designed for constant 1g burns which means you pretty much have to control your ship throughout the journey to each planet and timing the flip and burn is easier said than done.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
AFAIR, there was a MFD for constant thrust trajectories, but likely much lower thrust as you have in the Expanse.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Tried making an MCRN Corvette Class using Vessel Builder and it turned out pretty alright 👌
nice work! just a virtual cockpit in addition would make a great add-on, IMO!!

Only problem is that (as far as I know) there aren't any programs in the MFD that are designed for constant 1g burns which means you pretty much have to control your ship throughout the journey to each planet and timing the flip and burn is easier said than done.
It's not that necessary. Standard display is enough, although new instruments would be welcome for sure.
The most critical point is that you keep always some margin due to extremely high velocities you reach. Then my "quick tuto" would be:
  1. as soon as the departure, select Orbit with the destination as the reference
  2. take good note of the distance to your destination => your filp must occur at half of it, better a little earlier than a little after
  3. apply the constant burn (say equivalent to 1G), aligning the velocity vector to the destination: it can take some time, be careful not to hit your origin planet: soon no time to correct the trajectory if your velocity vector goes below the horizon (in departure's reference)
  4. at mid-course, flip and still keep your velocity aligned with your destination (back in destination reference, warning).
  5. as you get closer, make sure you are targeting the limb and not the center: in case you need to adjust it could be too late
  6. while approaching, watch for the MFD Orbit and catch the elliptical orbit while still decelarating.

This is called a brachistochrone. Adjust with successive brachistochrones, paying attention to always start a new one with relative velocity 0 and noting the distance at that time (to flip at half of it)... a full manual piloting... very exciting actually!